What could be the reason my molar hurts when biting down? (X-ray)

I feel a pain coming from deep when I bite something tough. My non-expert feeling says it comes from the root of the tooth. The pain used to be already present when biting down without food, but I explained my complaint to the dentist. He said it was probably due to my bite (my back upper molars are crooked). He edged off a tiny bit of my tooth, and the pain when biting down was immediately gone. He took a bite-wing X-ray (of which I don't have a picture). However, the pain is still present sometimes when I eat something tough. I didn't go to the dentist a second time with this problem yet.

It is probably not unimportant to say that I have a small filling in that molar. My dentist closely examined everything and didn't mention anything. I asked specifically if it could be the wisdom tooth pushing against it but he said it was deep still and was unlikely to cause problems at this point.

I would like to note that I don't care about the pain. While it can be strong at times, I have to deliberately bite down with that spot to trigger it. Better said: if it stays like this, no problem. I just don't want it to be a ticking time bomb.

The attached pictures are the molar I'm talking about and a very recent x-ray. (it's my upper left molar, I don't know which one that is on the x-ray haha, I think it's the right one).

P.S. Don't worry about my bottom wisdom teeth, they're going out tomorrow..

Attachments

• rjuXlBn.jpg
    rjuXlBn.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 375
  • 2RIEcNG.jpg
    2RIEcNG.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 357

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Sounds like a crack. This can sometimes be detected with a FracFinder and transillumination. Next step would be to place an ortho band on it to see if settles, and if OK, then go to a crown.
Why do you still have those naughty lower wisdom teeth? Now they're ticking time bombs!

Vote:
Sounds like a crack. This can sometimes be detected with a FracFinder and transillumination. Next step would be to place an ortho band on it to see if settles, and if OK, then go to a crown.
Why do you still have those naughty lower wisdom teeth? Now they're ticking time bombs!

I got one removed today actually, other one in a few months.
Should I mention the crack idea to my dentist? I actually had it checked out again today by a different dentist, who also said the pain was most likely from a crooked molar possibly in combination with pressure from the wisdom tooth. I find it a but strange none of them mentioned the idea of crack, they’re both good dentists.

Last edited:

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Raise it if they haven't mentioned it already. The fact that pain was relieved a bit when your tooth was shortened says that at least it's related to that tooth, and that it's related to the biting pressures on that tooth. I doubt it's related to the upper wisdom teeth, but also good to get rid of them too.

Vote:

Ask a Question