What could be causing the rapid sensitization of my teeth?

Over the last 1 or 2 years my teeth have been getting increasingly more sensitive to breathing in and cold things. Whenever I breathe in, the front of most of my teeth experiences noticeable pain, and occasionally the pain is jarring and comes from inside the tooth (but this only happens for a few teeth).

some general info: my top teeth crowd inwards and I need braces, I brush twice a day and floss about once a week.

Solutions
Do you use sensitive toothpaste?

I had problems with sensitivity when I had a bite problem. If you have too much pressure on teeth it can make them sensitive. Try to relax your jaw in the day and get a nightguard to wear at night.

Vote:
Yeah I've been using Sensodyne for the past 3 or 4 years. I do have alignment problems as my top 8 or so teeth point inwards. But can that really cause the fronts of my teeth to be sensitive?

Vote:
Solutions
Well I found it surprising that a bite adjustment made my teeth more sensitive. The dentist said that if teeth are knocked about it tends to create sensitivity.

Vote:
You could try brushing once more per day and flossing more often. Whenever I feel some sensitivity, it usually goes away when I brush. However I feel your situation is a little more severe.

Vote:
Solutions
Hey Busbee. We have talked before and you had some advice. I was wondering about you said you bite was off. How did it get off? And were all your teeth hurting and not just one or two. I am still fighting all my teeth hurting. I am getting to where it is hard for me to eat anything real solid. It hurts all my teeth when I eat and I know I am not chewing stuff up like I should. I just cannot get an answer. I asked the last dentist I went to a few weeks ago if the could tell me 95% sure there is nothing wrong with my teeth. He just says he can't see anything. I do feel my bite is exactly right but I haven't had any thing to change it. If you will remember all my trouble started after a cleaning and fluoride treatment. I just can't believe my bite could be off so much that all my teeth hurt but I don't know. I am wondering if it could be neuralgia. I don't think I have trigeminal neuralgia or I would even be worse than I am. Maybe so other type but I am just having a hard time excepting that. I have been to 10 or so dentist. You would think one of them could figure it out if it is dental. I am at a point I don't know what to do. I do know it is really effecting my health in general. I have a new general practitioner and he put me on a antidepressant and I am having bad side effects from it to go along with the teeth. He diagnosed me with burning mouth syndrome. I may have had it three years ago but not now. Just wondering if all you teeth hurt.

Vote:
Solutions
Hi John. I've had a lot of problems with my bite since a botched bite adjustment. Then others trying to fix it just made things worse and many of the teeth would hurt. I wouldn't say all my teeth hurt, it was mainly the molars. The teeth were more sensitive because there was too much pressure on some of them. They tended to hurt more when chewing.

But if you have had a bad reaction to something like cleaning solution then over time the pain should reduce. It could take a few months to a couple of years. The body reacts in different ways in different people. Perhaps they should give you a guard to wear when you eat to see whether it makes a difference (I mean in terms of avoiding any food touching the teeth in case that's making things worse). Did you say you wear a night guard when you sleep?

Vote:
Solutions
I have had two mouth guards made. One for the top which I could never wear because in my opinion it was made badly. I did one of the boil and bite ones which I can wear and one of the dentist made one for my lower teeth. My teeth hurt to bad to wear the ones the dentist made. I use the one I made ( which the dentist was impressd) at time when my teeth are really bothering me bad. I wore my guard every night for a month to see if I could tell any difference and I couldn't. I have told all 9 dentist I have been to that my bite doesn't feel right and it seems like it changes. I have been checked by mire than one with the articulating paper. It looks like if my bite was off that bad they could tell and say something. I still wonder about the fluroide treatment also. Was the fluroide bad, did they use the wrong kind for someone that had crowns, did the girl leave it in my mouth too long. I don't know but all my trouble started after that. Keep in touch. Oh, did you finally get your bite right?

Vote:
Solutions
Well what happens is they give you a mouth guard to see whether your bite feels good with the guard. If it doesn't then either the guard is badly made (happens a lot) or it's nothing to do with the bite. If you feel comfortable with the guard then it's totally bite-related.

If it was your bite every single tooth wouldn't be hurting. You'd have a few that were symptom free. But it might feel as though they were all hurting. So from what you've said it may not be your bite, but you have to find another bite guard that's well made and adjusted to your mouth to know for sure. Could you just remind me how long ago this happened?

I haven't got my bite quite right. Once they mess with the bite it's impossible to get it right. I'm still waiting for a crown to be made (a crown that I didn't need but was suggested to stabilise the bite). My problem is that work I've had done tends to wear down and then I feel uncomfortable again. Only takes a tiny bit of wear to shift it. But when I wake up I feel ok and sleep ok because of the mouth guard. However, I am in far less pain than two years ago when things were really bad after a botch job. I have just the odd twinge in a couple of teeth. The wrong guard can make your teeth hurt all day. The wrong dentist can ruin your teeth for life. Unfortunately they don't come with a label!

Vote:
Solutions
Well when I put the mouth guard in I guess it does feel better because my teeth aren't touching so I guess I don't know how to answer that one. When i think about every single tooth hurting my very back jaw teeth are not as bad as the rest but they don't touch like the rest. I am sure the bite of these teeth is not right. I had a crown come off of #2 back several months ago and if feels better with it off. I have 600.00 in two dentist mouth guards and for sure can't wear one of them and the other is extremely tight. It is for my bottom teeth. I have worked on the boil and bit myself to where it slips on and off my teeth with little effort and it is not extremely tight. I can sleep with it at night and it does not come off.
I forgot all this has been going on since November 2016.
I actually put a small ball of dental wax in tooth # 14 and tooth # 4 to keep them slightly apart when I put my teeth together. Helps me go to sleep. I did wear my mouth guard for a month straight at night to see if I could tell a difference and I don't think I could. Maybe I need to start wearing it again at night and as much as I can in the day and just see if I can tell any difference.
I went to a dentist in a different town that has T Scan or Tech Scan technology. She talked to me and I told her my bite, and speech weren't' right and I pronounced some words different. I don't know if you are familiar with this technology or you know anyone who has ever had it done. I guess if your bite is off a little it would work but I am afraid it won't work and then all my teeth will be adjusted on and like you said you can't put it back and I don't have thousands of dollars to have crowns put on everything.
I have learned that just a hair makes a difference. I told the last dentist it almost feel like my bottom jaw is forward or something. Feels like my bottom front teeth put pressure on my top fronts. It doesn't seem like I can put my teeth together good and make a good swallow. also. I even thought maybe during the cleaning I help my mouth open too wide and to long and caused some problems with my bite. I have had face ct scan, scan on my tmj joints, brain scan and sleep study done. The sleep study said I have mild sleep apena but I don't grind my teeth which I didn't think I did.
As far as the neuralgia thing goes. I have been having some eye pain again but not bad. I have developed tinnitus along the way also. I'll keep you posted. Thanks Busybee

Vote:
Solutions
You should go back to the dentist who made the mouth guard and tell them it does not fit and ask them to remake it. You need a properly made guard if you are to get anywhere in working out how much of this is bite related. They should make you a guard that's comfortable.

It sounds like your bite is off but that makes no sense because you didn't have it adjusted. It would seem that you have some TMJ but then you didn't say the x rays indicated any problems with the jaw joint (I have a clicky jaw on one side and that shows up on CT scans). I have tinnitus in one ear (next to the clicky joint) and it comes and goes. I only have it at night but I see it as an indicator of a problem with the bite. It's possible that when they were working on your teeth the joint or muscle supporting it could have been damaged from having it open so long. But I'm surprised that hasn't shown on CT. The only thing I can think of is that maybe you had a large build up of calculus on your teeth and the clean removed that. Does that sound possible?

Vote:
Solutions
Up until all this started I went to the dentist for a cleaning every six months. Been doing it for years. The hygienist didn't say anything about my teeth. It didn't seem like it took her long to do the cleaning. So I don't know. Like I said that was my first fluoride ever.
I think the second guard was probably made right. The first on was a hard guard and it didn't fit. It was like it was for someone else. The second one I had made a month ago was for the bottom teeth and it was a softer material. It fits my teeth but they are so sensitive ( if that is the word for it) than when I put it on it just squeezes my teeth and I can't stand it. I would say it does fit though. I am going to start wearing my little guard more. I can stand it because it is loose enough. Don't know if that's good or not but I don't see where it could alter or move my teeth.
The CT Scan of my face and TMJ joints were done at the VA Hospital. I assume they have someone reading them that knows what they are doing. At least I hope some. I don't have any pain or clicking or anything like that in the joints. My ENT and Gp and a couple of the dentist said I don't have TMJ but I don't know about that either. I figure if my jaw moved a hair it would throw my bite off.
After all this started and I went to a different dentist and I already had teeth contacting hard and he did adjust on them. Something had caused this but I don't know what. I realize after the fact I shouldn't have had any grinding done. It looks like the dentist would have thought about it a little. I told him I never had this problem before.
Could I ask you about your opinion of the T scan or Tech scan for oclussion adjustment. I have watched several videos on youtube about it. It seems like a wonderful thing and maybe could be of benefit. I went to the dentist on Lafayette La. that has it. No one here where I live does. I was suppose to go back and she was going to do the adjustment. I don't know how many times you have to go back. Then she wanted to make a new mouth guard. I got scared of it and didn't go back but now I am wondering. The adjustment was 750.00 and the mouth guard was 750.00. I didn't ask her what kind it was. I don't have insurance but right now if it would help I would be glad to pay that.
I just read what I wrote and let me say that my bite was off before any kind of adjustment was done. Let me know what you think of the T Scan thing. Thanks John

Vote:
Solutions
Hi John, I watched a T scan video on you tube. My opinion of this is that it's totally reliant on the data that has been fed into it by humans. So it will be based on the same pre-set notions of what constitutes a perfect bite (the text book bite). In my opinion, and I'm not a dental professional but I do have a fair bit of experience of what can go wrong, the text book bite is a myth. Every individual is going to be comfortable with a different bite because we are all different. Some people are very happy with what a textbook defines as dysfunctional bite. They are not only happy but have no dental issues, decay or pain. The brain is programmed to expect teeth to be in certain positions and once you start to adjust them the memory of that programming leads to long-term dissatisfaction whenever the jaws come into contact. So the muscles contract more to try to find it and this leads to different bite problems and added stress. So in my humble opinion dentists should not be adjusting down the bite unless there are exceptional circumstances.

You cannot replace what nature has created. Once you start having crowns and other restorations you can start to build in a bite problem for the future, particularly when you have a large amount of work in one session. If you then start to grind down the bite there's more pressure in areas that may be weaker than necessary to sustain it. A dentist cannot feel the areas of weakness but your mouth can. Trying to then go back and build up again can lead to cracked teeth as restorations are never the same as the original cusps. Changing one thing in a bite affects numerous other areas. There are too many variables involved to make this a regular option for a dental professional. It can affect the TMJ and muscles, but also the neck, shoulders and back. How can a dentist predict what it affects? It takes an exceptional individual to understand the bite and make successful changes.

From what you've said your problem is sensitivity following the fluoride treatment. This may have led to you changing your muscle action to avoid the sensitive teeth so it may now feel like you have a bite problem, but what you might be doing is changing all the behaviour of the jaw to avoid pain. So you have maybe formed new habits that have affected your alignment. Then you had a bite adjustment and we don't know how much that has contributed to your subsequent problems.

You can have a bite guard that is soft inside and hard outside. The hard outside bit is a good idea for diagnosis. Bear in mind that it's extremely difficult to adjust a hard guard so that someone with sensitive teeth is comfortable. Some dentists are gifted in intuitively adjusting, others are not. Listening to the patient is important for successful adjustments.

Vote:
Solutions
Well I am at a point that I don't know what to do. Like I said one of the doctors said it was all a continuation of some type of Nerulgia I had two or so years ago. I doubt it be could be. I am still leaning on my bite or teeth alignment isn't right. I am afriad to have more adjustments made for fear of making it worse than it is. As much as I have read on this mess you would think I would know. Is there a dentist that specializes in oclussion. I didn't know who to go to when this started and I did go to a orthodontist. I had one jaw tooth that was hurting the worst. He did say something about roller coaster teeth and sent me to a endodontist to have the tooth looked at.
I don't know about the fluroide thing. You could have a good point. All my trouble did start after that. I don't know if any dentist around here could diagnose that. I have told everyone of them about the fluroide treatment.
I had thought about having the t scan done but you have a lot of good points on it. I have no doubt in some situations it could help IF the dentist knows what they are doing. That's another thing with the t scan. Wonder how they learn to use it. Oh well, That's enough for now. Thanks for reading this and the suggestions.

Vote:
Hi FalloutFan,

The cause of the issue you are having may be most probably caused by receding gums. It may also be casued by other things such as worn tooth enamel. Try to avoid drinking soft drinks and grinding your teeth, do use fluoride toothpaste.

i recommend you visit below website and read the articles carefully:
https://crest.com/en-us/oral-health...ity/teeth-sensitive-cold-causes-home-remedies

cheers,
Emedee

Vote:
Solutions
Thanks Emedee. I know my gums have receded some with age. All this started basically overnight. I would think if it was gum recession it would have taken a while. I did go to a periodontist when this first started and he said my gums looked fine so I kind of ruled that out. Two of the dentist recommended a sleep study. I had one and I have mild sleep apnea and during the study I didn't grind my teeth. I am pretty sure I don't anyway. I have a soft mouth guard I have had for several months. I sleep with it at night sometime. I think if I grind my teeth I would have chewed it up by now and it looks like it did when I started using it. I don't really have the symptoms of a teeth grinder. I am kind of just the opposite. My teeth don't hurt any worse in the morning, I don't have jaw pain or headaches. Sometime my eyes will hurt in the morning. I have had two night guards made by dentist and they both are terrible. I use a over the counter guard some just to keep my teeth apart when they are really bothering me like today. I do feel like my bite is not right but not sure what to do but I don't know if that is why my teeth are killing me. Like I had said in a earlier post that they are not sensitive to hot or cold. They are sensitive to the touch or tap or scratch them with your finger nail. That kind of hurt. Thanks for the suggestions. I am listening you can be sure.

Vote:
My tooth also hurted on tap. It turned out that it was a gum around a tooth that caused the pain as a matter of fact. Try cleaning the areas that hurt with a dental floss, I think that should help. For me it helped in 2 days. Then after some time I was too lazy to clean them and the pain in the tooth appeared again. I didn't recognize that it was a pain from gums and I went to a dentist and got scammed for 1435 sek = around 143 eur for two holes that he created himself and told me I had a loss of a filling. So try it out and see the effects. You can feel the dental flosss after use if it has an unpleasant scent if it does then you probably got it.

Cheers

Vote:

Ask a Question