What can I do about the changes to my physical appearance?

In September, I was involved in a drunken altercation at a party where I was told I was punched in the face multiple times and that I had also hit my head (and presumably my teeth) on the floor many times (not related to the fight). I woke up the next day with bruises on my face and that a few of my front teeth seemed to have shifted slightly forwards (I had a bad overjet/overbite problem as a kid and have had braces off for two years at the time of the incident), and I had not put great thought into this, but I also noticed my facial shape changed a little bit. My lower jaw didn't look as defined and whole face did not seem to be as 'full' as it used to be, but I didn't think much of this. Around March, I noticed that my front two teeth have shifted so far forward that the bottom of them were touching my lower lips, a feeling I had not felt since I was a kid with dental issues. I also thought about the facial change that I noticed from months back, and noticed the changes became much more prevalent. My upper lip stuck out noticeable in front of my lower one, and the lower one also started to curve. Along with this, I also noticed my nose ridge has a little bump, protruded outwards, and seemed to have moved to a slightly lower position. In panic, I looked at the only photos I could find of myself from a month before the incident and confirmed my fears that my teeth, and more importantly, my facial shape had gone through major changes.

The issue is in the title. I've been extremely unhappy with my looks since I noticed and the skin on my face just feels very uncomfortable. I have a hard time making expressions that I used to be able to make and speech is greatly affected as my top teeth are in more of a forward position than they used to be. What do you suggest that I do?

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Since you had a history of trauma to your front teeth, have them checked to make sure the teeth and bone are vital and not damaged. If you are not please with your facial profile, you may have to revisit the orthodontist.

Vote:
Since you had a history of trauma to your front teeth, have them checked to make sure the teeth and bone are vital and not damaged. If you are not please with your facial profile, you may have to revisit the orthodontist.

Yeah, I figured a checkup on my teeth is essential, but what can they do about it? The actual teeth look fine, but I'm sure the bone is damaged as my teeth shift extremely quickly after I take my retainers off and eat a small meal, like a bowl of cereal, or something.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If the front teeth are non-vital meaning the nerve is necrotic, you may need root canal treatment. Usually your upper lip keeps the top teeth aligned so if they have shifted, your orthodontist may need to move them back.

Vote:
If the front teeth are non-vital meaning the nerve is necrotic, you may need root canal treatment. Usually your upper lip keeps the top teeth aligned so if they have shifted, your orthodontist may need to move them back.
Move them back with braces or the like? Unfortunately, I'm in college and do not have the money to do that, so I guess I'm screwed, right?

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If you have no pain and no swelling, you should be fine until you decide on a plan with your dentist/orthodontist.

Vote:

Ask a Question