What are these dents in 6 year olds teeth?

Solutions
Hello,

Has anyone seen these before and are they something to worry about? They are on nearly every tooth - especially the molars.

He is booked in to see a dentist next week but I am feeling a bit anxious about them so any advice would be welcome.

They are very symmetrical and even and look like little dents. I hadn’t noticed them before so not sure how long they have been there for.

Thank you

Attachments

• 6B6E56C7-6381-4929-8E7F-C49BC5FFFB48.png
    6B6E56C7-6381-4929-8E7F-C49BC5FFFB48.png
    707.1 KB · Views: 89
  • F2DF4152-54B9-4998-9CAC-FFDDFFBFC104.jpeg
    F2DF4152-54B9-4998-9CAC-FFDDFFBFC104.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 86

A_s

Solutions
Hello,

Has anyone seen these before and are they something to worry about? They are on nearly every tooth - especially the molars.

He is booked in to see a dentist next week but I am feeling a bit anxious about them so any advice would be welcome.

They are very symmetrical and even and look like little dents. I hadn’t noticed them before so not sure how long they have been there for.

Thank you

Hi,

They are caused by normal wear from eating and chewing, or from grinding. And a bit of erosion (perhaps from juices, sugary drinks).

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Those "dents" are on baby teeth. Baby teeth have thinner, less dense enamel and may form pits during function. The molars will fall out in 4 to 5 years (10.5 years to 12 years) while the baby canines will come out in 3.

Vote:
Solutions
Those "dents" are on baby teeth. Baby teeth have thinner, less dense enamel and may form pits during function. The molars will fall out in 4 to 5 years (10.5 years to 12 years) while the baby canines will come out in 3.

Thank you so much for your reply. Is it likely they will need treatment? Are they a warning sign for cavities?

Vote:
Solutions
Hi,

They are caused by normal wear from eating and chewing, or from grinding. And a bit of erosion (perhaps from juices, sugary drinks).

Thank you for your reply. I’m not aware of any grinding but he does have juice. No fizzy. We are really trying to switch to more water but it appears he would rather go without than drink water!

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Thank you so much for your reply. Is it likely they will need treatment? Are they a warning sign for cavities?

I don't think they need treatment for now. They are more vulnerable for cavities. Brushing and flossing are a must, proper diet and reduced sugar and acids are very important, and discuss optimal Fluoride with his dentist.

Vote:
Solutions
I don't think they need treatment for now. They are more vulnerable for cavities. Brushing and flossing are a must, proper diet and reduced sugar and acids are very important, and discuss optimal Fluoride with his dentist.

Thank you so much for your time - you have been very helpful.
I called our dentist today and they are still hopeful our appointment next week will be able to go ahead despite lockdown, so I will ask about the Fluoride then.

Vote:

Ask a Question