What are the recommendations to straighten teeth with a veneer on a tooth?

Hi there,

I have a question. I want to straighten my teeth but I have a veneer on my front tooth.

What are the recommendations to straighten my teeth?

I'm worried if I wear braces it'll damage the veneer after braces are taken off.

That is a true risk. Braces, and more so Invisalign or Six Month Smiles, can do well when teeth have crowns on them. However with a veneer it loses a little of the support. I would ask your dentist if he is comfortable with it. He will be able to judge how much the tooth needs to move and give you a good answer. If the tooth is moving very little then it shouldn't be an issue. Hope this helps,

Garrett Fiorenza, DDS
Fiorenza Dental Group
www.fiorenzadentalgroup.com
Greenwood, IN

Vote:
That is a true risk. Braces, and more so Invisalign or Six Month Smiles, can do well when teeth have crowns on them. However with a veneer it loses a little of the support. I would ask your dentist if he is comfortable with it. He will be able to judge how much the tooth needs to move and give you a good answer. If the tooth is moving very little then it shouldn't be an issue. Hope this helps,

Garrett Fiorenza, DDS
Fiorenza Dental Group
Greenwood, IN

Thanks for the reply. I have another question. Let's say I had the braces done, and my wisdom tooth is unchanged (or changed but teeth is straight).

Is there a big risk in wearing retainers? I'm afraid after removing the retainer it may remove the veneer every now and then I take the retainer out.

Vote:
No there is no risk in wearing a retainer after the braces. Retainers don't cause enough force to break off the veneer. Hope this helps,

Garrett Fiorenza, DDS
Fiorenza Dental Group
Greenwood, IN

Not break off in particularly. But more of pull off. I had braces before, and retainers are quite tight. I feel the retainers may pull the veneer out after numerous nights of wearing retainer?

Hopefully your previous reply still stands.

Mason.

Vote:

Ask a Question