was extraction really necessary?

Well firstly i am a real wimp at going to the dentist and have never gone as often as i should, mainly due to breaking both my front teeth when i was young which resulted in a few bad experiences, one of which was injecting an abscess on them despite my lips being swollen and a huge lump on them!!

Anyway i am only 30, not sure if it makes any difference but i guess it does when i have just had a 1st premolar pulled out as well.and look terrible.
I had a filling in this tooth about 5 years ago, it was a tiny hole. it fell out about 6 months ago and i have to say due to not having a dentist and also not having the money, and i guess putting it off caus i was scared to go i left it.
It did get bigger and i started to get a bit of pain in it but not constant pain, normally when i excercised alot and the blood pumping around in it or hot tea or suchlike, it would really badly hurt for a minute then go off. sometimes it didnt hurt for days at all.

I found what i would describe as a tired old fashioned dentists(my last was state of art modern, oh how i wish i had kept going)

He basically poked around with that spikey thing and said it was too big a hole for such a small tooth and it would have to come out, no xray or anything, said even if had root filled there would not be any tooth left. now both my front teeth are tiny and they are both root filled and they are broken in half!!!
I would say the hole was half my tooth or less and a tiny point seemed to have broken off.
I know i am stupid to have left it, i really am gutted. I just guess i never would have thought it would be pulled out, it never really crossed my mind it would get worse.

Anyway he tapped it and it was tender so he said there was probably an absess as it shouldnt hurt and i took penicillin for a week. although there was no swelling or lump or anything.

I tried to make another appointment with another dentist in the same surgery as i didnt like his manner, i was paying and he didnt even smile, seemed to care about me at all, just matter of fact and now i'm done, get out kind of thing.

he said he would take x rays and i needed a filling on the other side too, so next appointment i thought they would just do this, x rays and such as i was new.

I went in and my heart sank as it was the same man. he said you need a couple of fillings and a tooth pulled. had all jabs, an x ray which was only to see that the root was ok he didnt even check it to see if my tooth could be filled, or root filling or if he could save it,
he filled tooth at other side, pulled tooth out and has also filled the 2nd premolar with horrid grey filling and it looks like it has been put into the side of it, it looks disgusting and black, he never even mentioned that he was filling this one, i dont think it needed to be.

Then when finished he said you have all bits in your mouth but i dont want you to rinse because of the pulled tooth and it needs to clot, well of course i couldnt swallow either.so went home with bits of filling in my mouth, talk about primitive! all this took about 25mins.

What i am really getting at, is could he have saved that tooth? i never got to see the x ray, but i wish i had spoken up and asked to see it, i guess i was too stunned.
Also due to the fact both my front teeth are only caps, i can barely eat properly as it is.
Could he have root filled it? He didnt seem to give me much choice i kept saying i didnt really want it doing and was gutted because its at the front.
I wish i had just gone back to old dentist but thought waiting list would be too long and it would be wreaked by then anyway.
anyone thanks for reading.

Ask a Question