Want to replace my 10+ years Amalgam filling

Hello Sirs,
I'm 30 y.o. had amalgam fillings on my 6 molars when I was younger (maybe 20).
Now the filling are still there. I'd like to replace those fillings for aesthetics considerations and also to extend my teeth lifetime.

May I consider ceramic inlays instead of amalgam or composite? can I fill my teeth with veneer? I want the best possibility regardless of the cost.

Thanks.

Solutions
They would normally replace with composite. But changing so many fillings could affect your bite. Amalgam fillings are extremely long lasting if done well.

Vote:
Thanks my friend.
As far as I know dentistry has evolved drastically in the last decade.
Do you know that veneer/porcelain/ceramic is as much as strong as amalgam, and much much stronger that composite?

Do you know that teeth crown are made of veneer? and usually last more than a decade?

Vote:
Solutions
You can't replace a filling with a veneer. A veneer is like an eggshell bonded to the front of a tooth to make it look pretty. It can be very strong when bonded by a good dentist but it is never strong like a natural cusp. I think you must mean a porcelain onlay? But a decade isn't a long time compared to amalgam. Most people have/had amalgam all their lives if made well. I'm sure there is a big industry in ceramics and restorative materials. But at the end of the day it's all down to the skill of the dentist, the quality of the impressions taken, the skill and understanding of the technician. Your bite, your self-care and genetics all play a major factor too. The biggest issue can be changing the bite with replacing so much dental work. It can totally mess up the equilibrium in your mouth. There are risks to the health of the tooth. You can end up with root failure when you over-treat teeth.

Vote:
Solutions
I am having difficulty with my bite and all my teeth killing me especially when I eat or swallow. Every time you swallow your teeth touch and mine hurt every time. I have been to 9 or so different dentist and have had no help yet. I guess what I am saying is I wouldn't do ANYTHING that could change my bite unless absolutely necessary.

Vote:
I wouldn't recommend changing your silver fillings unless the fillings are falling apart and need to be replaced. I believe in the saying "don't fix it if it ain't broken".

Vote:

Ask a Question