Visiting other dentists--appropriate or not?

Last week, I had some painful work done on a lower molar. The dentist could not get it numb and tried drilling through the gum into the root tip with a needle drill to deliver anesthesia to the root. This was very painful and he stopped before finishing. Right now, I am extremely sore and tender from this procedure.

Today, I started to worry about the degree of discomfort I have been in. I thought I might have an abscess or something! I tried to get an appointment with my dentist, but he was closed this afternoon. I was able to get in with another dentist I have used for x-rays my dentist couldn't do. It turned out that the only visible problem was a sore left over from the needle drill.

The new dentist I went to seemed to think that I should either switch to her or stick with my regular dentist. She tried to ask me several times what I "planned to do".

Is it inappropriate to go to another dentist for a second opinion, because it is convenient or because your own dentist is not immediately available? I figured, she is getting paid, so what is the big deal? Alternately, should it be offensive to my regular dentist that I did not wait to see him or call his emergency number?

Ask a Question