Very sore gums

Hi, I am new to this forum and I am (obviously) looking for advice. I am 61 yrs of age and have advanced periodontitis. I have had it for approximately the last 10 years and have tried to keep it under control via interdental brushing and a water pick. Anyway, I got made redundant and because I now have the time, I am devoting time to try and get on top of the problem.My teeth have lost all their enamel and I would like some work done on them but it is obviously no use unless I can get on top of the gum problem.I am in the process of having my teeth cleaned and have been advised that interdental brushing is the most important process and that the water pick not so useful. I have also been told that I haven't been using the correct size brushes (too small) and so now use different size brushes for different teeth. I have now been brushing between the teeth with bigger brushes for the last two weeks. Now I get to my question. Since using the bigger brushes my gums bleed a lot but this is not the main problem. My main problem is the pain. My gums are so sore when I brush them, they feel raw, like brushing an open wound. I was told this would improve but it is showing no sign of improvement yet. Anyone with any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards
Steve

Ask a Question