Veneers with White spot

Hi - hoping someone can help me. I just got veneers done -- and there's a large white "lesion" or spot right in the middle of the tooth. I went back to the dentist and she had no idea what it was and couldn't polish it off. Does anyone know what this could be? She told me that there are risks in doing it over -- but I think I should do it over. Could the worst case scenario be that I could lose the tooth there altogether >???

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Photo please. And are these composite veneers (done directly on the tooth), or porcelain veneers (sent away and made in a lab)?

Vote:
It's very hard to take a picture of the issue -- it doesn't show up in my iPhone. But if you look closely at the pic I attached you can see it in the right front tooth. There's very white glare at the edge of the tooth -- that's not it, it's right above it -- it's faint but definitely visible. My dentist even acknowledges that it's visible. She has told me she'll do it over. But she said that there are risks. I asked her I could lose my tooth altogether which would result in a missing tooth / gap? She said anything is possible. Is that correct?

And if I go through the hassle in doing it again, i'm nervous it will happen again. Especially if they dont know why this happened in the first place..??

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_8336.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_8336.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 426

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Looks like simple white hypoplasia. Normally <2mm thick, so drill it out and place standard composite filling. Can't see how you'd lose a tooth over this.

Vote:
Solutions
Unless they are porcelain veneers which will mean replacing both front teeth or you'd have a colour mismatch. There's always a slight risk of root treatment with veneers. Depends on the dentist and how they have prepared (as well as the health of the underlying tooth of course).

Vote:
The dentist that did it is willing to re-do 4 teeth -- the 2 front teeth and the ones next to them. The teeth were also too short and slightly darker than the color I chose (however, I gave them the go ahead to put it on me, signed something). They want me to pay the lab fee for the 4 new teeth I'm getting. I feel like I should only pay for 2 of them, and they cover the front tooth that's discolored and the other front tooth as well. Does that sound fair?

Vote:
Solutions
You shouldn't need all four redone. It's difficult to match a single tooth to the central so they do those together, but they should be able to match sufficiently to the laterals. Although if you want the two front teeth to be a lot whiter then they would have to change the others.

But they should not be charging you for this. It's their mistake because only a technician causes a veneer to look like this.

Vote:

Ask a Question