Veneers done badly - HELP!

Hi

I had composite veneers put on both of my top front teeth earlier today (to replace temporary covers I had as I broke them badly as a child), but I am very unhappy with the outcome of both how they look and feel... i.e. I have been crying all evening since I left the dentist...it didn't even occur to me that my teeth looking WORSE after the veneers was a possibility.

So here's the problem:

- the shape is completely wrong - way to long and wide for my mouth (I now have a lisp) and basically look like a rabbit.
- they are wonky/crooked in relation to each other - i.e.the gap/line down the middle of the two teeth is in now way straight/vertical, but slanted, making one of the teeth a bizarre shape (almost triangular).
- they stick out... (!?) as in they literally stick forward, adding to the rabbit-effect

- I am also unhappy with the colour as we agreed on making them the same colour as the adjacent teeth, but he has added some darker colouring as well to make them look more 'natural'...I didn't want this and he didn't say he would be doing this!

At the end of my appointment the dentist said he had made them longer in order to be in 'correct proportion' with the width, but that I should see how that feels for a couple of weeks, and come back to have them changed if needed.

So I assume that I can go back and get them massively shortened, re-coloured and possibly even filed down so that they don't stick out forwards, BUT I don't see how the crookedness issue can be fixed without having them completely redone from scratch...

I am basically devastated that this has happened as I have saved up for months for the treatment. I don't even want to go into work until I can get this fixed as I feel so self conscious (yes they really do look that bad).

Any advice on what I should ask the dentist now, and also thoughts on whether this sounds like the dentist hasn't followed the normal procedure? I go to a reputable dentist so v surprised this has happened.

Thanks in advance.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Cannot offer any opinion on results unless you have before and after photos.
Best to make appointment with the dentist JUST to go in and talk about your concerns. Take along a couple of hard copy photos with your written comments. Keep a copy for yourself. Take someone with you (partner or parent).
Normally the dentist will fix for free, or even remove all the composite and you go somewhere else. Be polite for the best response.

Vote:
Solutions
I'm really sorry you are feeling so bad about your cosmetic work. If these are composite then it's not complicated for your dentist to fix this and to re do. It;s totally easy for the dentist to shorten them. Not all dentists are good at making this type of work look natural and aesthetic. In fact some are particularly poor at understanding the importance of aesthetics. It takes an artistic eye and practical talent to sculpt composite on front teeth. You should go back sooner and tell your dentist exactly what you want, particularly in terms of the colour and the mid-line being in line with the rest of your teeth. Make sure you tell your dentist to be careful not to remove any of your natural tooth when fixing this. The dentist should be able to redo this with minimal disruption to the underlying enamel (just the etching to attach new composite). If your dentist won't fix it then many cosmetic dentists can but of course you would have to pay again.

Vote:

Ask a Question