V shaped palate!!!

After battling gum disease for the past few years with no success, I finally admitted defeat & agreed with my dentist that I should go for a full top denture. I’ve wsiting till the summer hols as I work in a school & thought I could have a good few weeks to try & get used to them. However, upon taking impressions today the dentist was concerned as my palate is more of a V shape than flat or rounded & said this could mean I can’t have a denture fitted! If this is the case whats my alternative? She said she’d refer me to Manchester Dental Hospital - what might they suggest? I am very concerned about this. I’m 54 & work in a primary school so need to be able to work & speak properly!

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Without seeing your palate, I'm guessing that it is very narrow and deep. Did you use to have a cross bite where your back lower teeth are aligned wider than your upper teeth? Find a dentist with a lot of experience with dentures. During the process, you will have a lot of fittings and during those times, the dentist will assess how to best modify.

Vote:
Without seeing your palate, I'm guessing that it is very narrow and deep. Did you use to have a cross bite where your back lower teeth are aligned wider than your upper teeth? Find a dentist with a lot of experience with dentures. During the process, you will have a lot of fittings and during those times, the dentist will assess how to best modify.

Thanks for the reply. Yes - I have an over bite! And like you say - upper palate narrow & deep. I think I’ll take your advice & seek out another dentist.

Vote:

Ask a Question