Unknown spot on X rays- do I need a second look?

I went to the dentist for the first time in maybe 20 years (parents never took me and I never had money/insurance). 29/female. After the hygienist took x rays she said there was a spot in the pictures that the doctors were looking at. I guess they ultimately decided to watch it for now. Is this something that could need a second look? It took quite some time to convince myself to call for an appointment so I don’t want to put myself through that again if unnecessary! lol

Attachments

• 6319690F-2759-450D-88D2-69BA2E1979FF.jpeg
    6319690F-2759-450D-88D2-69BA2E1979FF.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 77

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The dentist may consider taking a periapical x-ray of the area. The image is blurry so it is hard for me to distinguish. My differential diagnosis is condensing osteitis, sclerotic bone, remotely odontoma.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

I agree with honestdoc. I have found areas like that before, and a peri-apical radio-graph can give a better image, but I also agree that this is most likely condensing osteitis.
In such a case, if asymptomatic and if it doesn't pose any risk to the the adjacent teeth, treatment is not indicated. Only regular follow-up of the lesion to note any changes.

Vote:

Ask a Question