Unknown Sensitivity

So several months ago when getting a checkup, the dentist noticed that a filling was either wearing out, or a cavity was formed near it. I don't really remember those specifics but either way it was sensitive in that area and I got the filling replaced.

However, the sensitivity remained. That is, when chewing certain foods, particularly crunchy ones, I would feel a slight jolt of soreness that lasts no longer than a second. I returned to my dentist who adjusted the filling in case it was too high, which I believe is a common problem.

The problem still remained for weeks after that, so I went back and the dentist took tests like x-rays and checks for infection and nothing was discovered. She adjusted the filling one more time but said if that doesn't work she'll just have to try to replace the filling and hope that will fix whatever the undetermined problem is. And indeed, the soreness remains.

I've tried using different kinds of Sensodyne in case it helps, but to no avail.

I'm kind of wondering if it's coincidence that my soreness is near where the filling was restored, and it could be from a different problem. I once fractured a tooth from clenching too much and I remember having similar symptoms before this happened - however one of the tests on this new problem tooth was tapping on it with a tool to see if I felt any pain, but I didn't (but pretty sure I would have felt something if it was a clenching issue?) Even though I broke the clenching habit during the day, it could be a night thing - so I got a Doctor's Night Guard that I've been using lately just in case (but so far no improvement).

Anyway, just hoping to get some feedback here before I return to the dentist yet again, especially since it sounds like replacing the filling is not a sure thing. I know I rambled on for a bit so if anything needs clarifying let me know.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

It can take several weeks for a tooth to fully recover from treatment. If the decay was close to the nerve that could explain your sensitivity. Clinching your teeth can also cause a fracture that may not appear on a dental x-ray.

Vote:

Ask a Question