Unhappy with my dentist

Hi, can anyone give any advice please.

I've been with my dentist for a few years now and while I sometimes found him a bit patronising I passed it off and carried on. However, recently I have been suffering with an abscess in the top left gum which had developed into a lump at the top of my gum. I previously had a filling in the tooth and he did say that eventually it would need a crown but gave no indication as to when or when I should think about having it, as I could not afford it at the time and I was not in pain I did not think anything more.

An abscess developed and he gave me antibiotics which cleared it again saying at some point a crown needed but no indication of when again as before I could not afford it at the time and not in pain so carried on. Recently, at the beginning of September I had pain again so went to see him, an abscess had formed and I was given antibiotics which took the pain away but not the swelling, I decided at this point to have the crown done and I was provided a treatment plan and started the treatment. After these antibiotics the pain had gone but the swelling was still there but it wasn't causing any pain so I assumed the abscess had gone and the dentist had done a few x days so I assumed all was OK for the treatment to be done. the root canal has been done but the abscess is still present. During one appointment to clear the last root he injected the anisthetic into the abscess I suffered pain immediately and from then on I have had pain and 2 lots of antibiotics but it has not cleared. anyway, on my appointment today I felt he was patronising in how he spoke with me he never offered up options on what could be done now just kept asking me what I wanted him to do Im not qualified so I asked him to do whats best and his response was nothing is for the best at this stage take it out or carry on trying to clean it out. From then on his attitude offended me and i drove back to work in floods of tears and im not a crier! I feel our patient/dentist relationship has broken down as I don't feel I get enough information from him, he never provides options for treatment first and puts down my suggestions when I try and make some ill informed ones with the little information I have from him. Im looking to speak with the practice manager about it because it has upset me and I'm getting frustrated and don't want to go back to him. Is it wise to change dentists mid treatment or would it be best to complete my treatment and raise my issues then? I don't want to cause a further rift if I have to go back to him. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Ask a Question