Two broken molars

Hi everyone.

I broke my upper right molar two days ago. It all started with a crack down its middle, then the whole thing fell apart while I was eating cake. I have no idea how it happened, and there was no filling, no visible cavity, no physical trauma. I don't do chewing gum and don't drink sugary sodas at all, but occasionally I eat a few snacks or chocolates. I brush my teeth everyday before I sleep. I don't smoke or drink alcohol. I haven't had any root canals, or fillings done, or anything on my teeth in general, I do not visit the dentist unless a health issue comes up. I am generally physically healthy and cannot come to terms with this just happening out of nowhere. I went to the dentist yesterday and he said there is barely any tooth left so I need either extraction and/or implantation. I have another molar that also broke in the same spot, but upper left. I left it alone for a couple of years because my parents didn't want to deal with it (I'm pretty young and live with my parents). I am only 20. I just cannot deal with the fact that I have to implant two molars at this age, and the situation is only made worse by my mother, and dentist, who want to believe that I eat too much sugar and there is no other underlying issue. I heard from the dentist yesterday about having cavity on the tongue side of the tooth, even though I showed him the broken part of my tooth and it wasn't as decayed as he tried to convince me. He basically tried to convince me that the whole area was blackened with cavity before it broke, which it wasn't. I do not want to trust him, as he kept talking about irrelevant issues such as my overbite (which my orthodontist was okay with not fixing because of my mouth shape), my bite in general (he asked me to show my teeth then immediately said I was holding them down wrong and giving myself issues), my supposed last issue with lower left molar (he has it written down that I suffered a lower left issue last time I visited, which is a fabricated lie!), then he kept incessantly telling me off about me being stubborn (as if I was a child). I do not understand if this is some sort of joke he was playing that I didn't get, either way it was insensitive especially after I reacted with tears after he recommended an implantation (those are expensive, and I was expecting a filling).

Anyway, I am grieving the loss of two teeth, too soon. I am still very confused and definitely suspicious of an underlying issue, such as my history with TMJ (temporomandibular joint) and grinding my teeth or a side effect of my braces (got them removed last August).

Hi everyone.

I broke my upper right molar two days ago. It all started with a crack down its middle, then the whole thing fell apart while I was eating cake. I have no idea how it happened, and there was no filling, no visible cavity, no physical trauma. I don't do chewing gum and don't drink sugary sodas at all, but occasionally I eat a few snacks or chocolates. I brush my teeth everyday before I sleep. I don't smoke or drink alcohol. I haven't had any root canals, or fillings done, or anything on my teeth in general, I do not visit the dentist unless a health issue comes up. I am generally physically healthy and cannot come to terms with this just happening out of nowhere. I went to the dentist yesterday and he said there is barely any tooth left so I need either extraction and/or implantation. I have another molar that also broke in the same spot, but upper left. I left it alone for a couple of years because my parents didn't want to deal with it (I'm pretty young and live with my parents). I am only 20. I just cannot deal with the fact that I have to implant two molars at this age, and the situation is only made worse by my mother, and dentist, who want to believe that I eat too much sugar and there is no other underlying issue. I heard from the dentist yesterday about having cavity on the tongue side of the tooth, even though I showed him the broken part of my tooth and it wasn't as decayed as he tried to convince me. He basically tried to convince me that the whole area was blackened with cavity before it broke, which it wasn't. I do not want to trust him, as he kept talking about irrelevant issues such as my overbite (which my orthodontist was okay with not fixing because of my mouth shape), my bite in general (he asked me to show my teeth then immediately said I was holding them down wrong and giving myself issues), my supposed last issue with lower left molar (he has it written down that I suffered a lower left issue last time I visited, which is a fabricated lie!), then he kept incessantly telling me off about me being stubborn (as if I was a child). I do not understand if this is some sort of joke he was playing that I didn't get, either way it was insensitive especially after I reacted with tears after he recommended an implantation (those are expensive, and I was expecting a filling).

Anyway, I am grieving the loss of two teeth, too soon. I am still very confused and definitely suspicious of an underlying issue, such as my history with TMJ (temporomandibular joint) and grinding my teeth or a side effect of my braces (got them removed last August).
Hi, What did you get done since your incident,p? Did you get the implants? Who is the next two or more I can definitely be a traumatic experience trust me I know. Since you mentioned TMJ issues and grinding do you think that you grind it your teeth at night and that called the breakage?

Vote:
sorry for the misspelling I didn’t realize, my microphone did that
Hi, What did you get done since your incident? Did you get the implants? TMJD can definitely be a traumatic experience trust me I know. Since you mentioned TMJ issues and grinding do you think that you grind your teeth at night and that caused the breakage?

Vote:
sorry for the misspelling I didn’t realize, my microphone did that
Hi, What did you get done since your incident? Did you get the implants? TMJD can definitely be a traumatic experience trust me I know. Since you mentioned TMJ issues and grinding do you think that you grind your teeth at night and that caused the breakage?
Hi!

I'm doing great. I went to a different dentist and he did a crown on my upper left, which I have had for two weeks now. Very happy that I can actually chew my food, as opposed to using my front teeth lol.

The other molar unfortunately still needs extraction, which might take a while for me to get to.

As for the underlying issue, I don't know. No one told me anything, and dentists mostly focus on fixing issues and don't like to explain causes (from my experience). I don't know how they teach them in school, and the ignorance is killing me (inside).

I still grind my teeth though. I am scared of breaking my new crown. I try not to do that, at least when I'm awake, because my parents have not financially recovered yet from the crown.

Hope this helps somehow Hopefulgirl, whatever your issue.

Vote:
Oh great that is good news because dental issues can be some of the hardest and most difficult to resolve especially to the point of being comfortable.

If you absolutely have to get an extraction, I strongly advise a replacement tooth in that spot especially if it’s a molar tooth because missing molars more than likely causes balance issues to the bite hence TMJD. If you are still grinding that sorta says something is still unbalanced as well in your bite since people grind when the muscles are trying to find the bite, but yes protect that new crown and your teeth at all cost. Use a thin night guard while sleeping, emphasis on thin lol.

As for me my issues is that a dentist misshaped my molar tooth so bad that it has thrown my bite off. I have balance issues and teeth that are hitting uncomfortably so I think my fix would be getting that molar built back up properly or a crown. And as far as how dentist are taught in school, it’s actually a lot they don’t know, never learn and have all wrong! I’ve read books and watched videos from other brave dentist that will admit that they have been doing a lot wrong and there’s a lot they just don’t know and have not learned about the bite! And I agree! I can tell because too many mess up time and time again.

Vote:
Hi!

I'm doing great. I went to a different dentist and he did a crown on my upper left, which I have had for two weeks now. Very happy that I can actually chew my food, as opposed to using my front teeth lol.

The other molar unfortunately still needs extraction, which might take a while for me to get to.

As for the underlying issue, I don't know. No one told me anything, and dentists mostly focus on fixing issues and don't like to explain causes (from my experience). I don't know how they teach them in school, and the ignorance is killing me (inside).

I still grind my teeth though. I am scared of breaking my new crown. I try not to do that, at least when I'm awake, because my parents have not financially recovered yet from the crown.

Hope this helps somehow Hopefulgirl, whatever your issue.
ok wait one sec lol, I had to read your original post again because I had actually forgot why I replied to your post. But omg I’m dealing with a liar dentist as well! I truly believe these dentist lie to us about the condition of things, they’ve also been known to destroy teeth for money. I wouldn’t be surprised if that dentist destroyed your teeth to make you get expensive implants. Did you see him in the past before the broken teeth? I had a dentist purposely destroy my tooth! I had no cavities. You should really try hard and think how did you get that crack in your teeth.

Vote:
Thank you for your nice replies.

Also many thanks for your advice and the information about balance issues. I think I understand a lot now about why the dentist who did my crown was so annoyed with how I wasn't able to bite down.

For context, what he was doing was polishing the top of the crown so it fits neatly on my bottom teeth. He inserts a blue strip in between and asks me to bite down hard as if I were grinding on it, and now I understand from you that grinding is what folks do when their bite is unbalanced.

As for the reason my upper right broke, I am pretty sure I had that crack right after I took my braces off. Maybe the braces were holding the tooth together, and when they came out, it finally fell apart? At least I suspect so, and I had many times a thought that something was going on back there, but I wrongfully labelled my thoughts anxiety and moved on.

I am glad you figured out your dentist is a liar. I can't imagine the trauma behind that, paying money expecting treatment and care and only getting worse. This is why I only go to the dentist for immediate issues. Reading online and researching is better to quell that fear of ignorance, and sometimes if it ain't broke don't fix it. I can't exactly say I recommend this philosophy, but what's the alternative? Humans are prone to error in many ways, and the nuances of who's right or wrong and whose opinion to take can be hard to resolve. I hope you got out of that awful dentist situation woth grace and resilience.

Vote:

Ask a Question