Toothbrush vs cutlery/nails

Dear,

I was reading about hardness of teeth. Some pages say that enamel is the hardest part of our body, even harder than steel (although more brittle). That is why we can not damage our teeth if we scrape them by nails, neither we damage them by cutlery.

On the other hand, brushing hard can damage teeth. But, toothbrush is softer than nails or cutlery. I am now wondering about the following.

Why brushing hard can damage teeth while scarping them with nails does not damage?

Thank you.

Best regards,

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Scraping teeth with your nail may not abrade enamel short term. Long term, your gums are readily traumatized and can permanently recede exposing more softer root cementum which can abrade.

Toothpaste has a lot of abrasive substances especially in whitening labels and can cause damage. Most of the traumatic damage occurs similarly with receding gums exposing more root.

Vote:
Thanks for the reply. I see what you mean. When gums recede, they would expose dentin, right? Are you saying that dentin can be (easily) abraded by nails?

I saw many comments saying that one should not try to remove plaque by nails. What I experience from time to time is that plaque gets hard enough so that it is like impossible to remove it by a toothbrush. However, reasonably gentle scrape gets them off. Isn't that better to get rid of them, rather to let them stay? This can occur to me only 10 days after seeing a dentist. I floss daily.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
When gums recede, cementum (root surface) is exposed. Cementum is softer than dentin. You are right in 2 counts. The leftover plaque can calcify (tartar build up) due to the mineral content in your saliva and cannot be removed other than a dental instrument (perhaps your fingernail). Plaque can mineralize after 48 hrs and is best to remove as much of it as possible. Try an electric toothbrush like Sonicare or Oral B which can remove plaque more effectively than manual toothbrush.

I not able to predict the trauma/damage you can inflict with your nails. You are also right that it is best to get rid of tartar buildup rather to let them stay. If you have healthy gums, once or twice yearly cleaning should be enough. If you have gum disease, you may need deep cleanings (Scaling/Root Planing) and more frequent periodontal treatments. If you live in the US, dental visits can be very expensive without dental insurance. Hopefully you have regular access to them.

Vote:

Ask a Question