Toothache in the right side of the mouth with swelling in the jaw under the ears

Best answers
I had some fillings on the left side last year. I will get regular cleanings done.I have toothache in the right side for past 2 days.it started after I take fish and chicken after a long time.means I didn't eat those past 2 months. I did chew those a lot.it started off with dull toothache on the right side.it was there on top side first. then I felt some pain on the down side too.it was like needle pain and the whole right end side is not comfortable. I avoided eating on that side past 2 days. today I see some swelling on the end of the right down side.its close to my ears and end of the jaw. I have already taken wisdom tooth on the lower side and upper wisdom tooth is still there. I have bad breadth and smells very bad. the Swelling is at the end of the lower jaw. does it related to any tooth or sinus issue?I have sinus issue and never had any swelling like this before. I am in US. what could be the issue? upper wisdom tooth has small cavity. Lower ones doesn't have any cavity as per last x-ray. The swelling is little but feels very uncomfortable inside the mouth. But not very continuous pain in the tooth. I am able to eat and drink hot liquids. What could be the reason? The little swelling is on the upper and lower jaw side. Exactly under the ears. No pain when I touch any tooth or gums. Only the jaw hurts while I touch.what could be the reason? I am in the US and feel scared to go to dentist. That too in this current covid-19 situation, I am very nervous.
Whenever I open my mouth,it hurts on that side and hear some scratchy noise in there. The swelling is small only. Will it go away on its own.

Please share your inputs.

Edit to add: it gives a sharp pinch like pain in the right side sometimes lower and sometimes on the upper side. I see swelling only today. The pain was there for past 2 days. I feel like shiver and chill along with bad breath. Checked my temp and it's normal.

Ad

Advertisements

Best answers
Is it related to my tooth or ears? Anyone have any inputs?
I feel some discomfort inside the ear and under the ears where I see some little swelling. Should I check with dentist or general physician?

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Best answers
It's impossible to diagnose your problem. You may need to get a pano xray to check LR wisdom tooth. I don't think it is related to your sinuses. If you have pain on your upper teeth when you bend forward or going up & downstairs, then your sinuses are the likely problem. You may need to go to the dentist first to rule out any teeth problems before you go to the physician.

Best answers
It's impossible to diagnose your problem. You may need to get a pano xray to check LR wisdom tooth. I don't think it is related to your sinuses. If you have pain on your upper teeth when you bend forward or going up & downstairs, then your sinuses are the likely problem. You may need to go to the dentist first to rule out any teeth problems before you go to the physician.
Thank you doctor for the reply.
I tried bending down. I feel some pinching feel pain in the upper side of the mouth, ears, under the ears. Nose and head feels very heavy.
What is LR wisdom tooth? I had my last x-ray on July 2019. No cavities deducted on lower side of the right side teeth. Only cavity in upper wisdom tooth.
Whether the pinching needle pain in the lower end of the jaw under the ears is because of tooth issue or sinus or ear ? I also feel some scratchy pain inside the ear from this morning. It's inside the ear.nose and ears completely blocked.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Best answers
Sorry, I missed your lower wisdom teeth were previously removed. Just make sure you have no urgent dental problems by seeing the dentist and have your physician check you ears.

Best answers
Sorry, I missed your lower wisdom teeth were previously removed. Just make sure you have no urgent dental problems by seeing the dentist and have your physician check you ears.
Thank you doctor. I will check if any dentist office opens in my area. Most of them were closed for a long time. I am able to chew and swallow food. I am not sure why I get this all of a sudden.
Thanks for your reply.

Ad

Advertisements

Best answers
I just have another quick question doctor.
After removing the wisdom tooth, will it grow again? I removed my both lower wisdom tooth a decade back.
Yesterday, since I had swelling my husband checked all of my tooth on the right side if any gums are red in color. And he said he can see something like white spots on that spot where I had wisdom tooth before. When I run over my tongue there, I couldn't feel anything apart from some hard surface there.
We couldn't get a clear picture of it when we take it from camera. Whether we get the tooth back?
Also, I have TMJ problem I think. I haven't diagnosed yet. My dentist once told me that I am grinding my teeth a lot during sleep and he can see the edges.
I hear some popping , stretchy sound whenever I open my mouth and swallow something.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Best answers
Your wisdom teeth won't grow back. You may be experiencing stress and grinding and clenching. That could deteriorate your TMJ. In the US, dentists are opening up. I have been seeing emergencies only since the closures so you should find a dentist to get it checked. You could go to the drug store and pick up an OTC night guard and try it out. If indicated you may need to consider custom bite guard (very expensive though).

Ad

Advertisements

Best answers
Your wisdom teeth won't grow back. You may be experiencing stress and grinding and clenching. That could deteriorate your TMJ. In the US, dentists are opening up. I have been seeing emergencies only since the closures so you should find a dentist to get it checked. You could go to the drug store and pick up an OTC night guard and try it out. If indicated you may need to consider custom bite guard (very expensive though).
Thanks doctor.
I do check the otc night guard. I will check for the custom ones later. Am not planning for any new treatments during this covid crisis.
I didn't check with my dental office yet. They were closed till may 1st. I have to call them and check. My pain is mostly inside the ear from yesterday. And also near the lower jaw end under the ears. My ear is completely blocked and scratchy pain all the time. I am not sure if it's dental or sinus or ear issue.

Thank you!!

Ask a Question