Tooth problems, what should I do?

Hey I made this account specifically to ask this question so apologies if this isn’t in the correct area. My teeth have been this way every since I remember, I have an overbite(my bottom front teeth lean inwards) to the point where my top teeth can completely cover the bottom. I have very short teeth where you can barely seen any of the top row when I smile and the only way for any of the back teeth to touch the other row(top and bottom) is if I were to overbite to the point where my bottom teeth are no longer visible. My tongue hangs over my back teeth naturally. I’ve been to the dentist and I know I need some fillings and possibly braces for my overbite but they never talked about my back teeth(though they did mention that I had very short teeth roots). My back teeth have been starting to hurt and my jaw is in an uncomfortable position(either hanging open or overbite) the sad thing is that I’m only 18. Is there anything I should do, is there anything that can be done?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Do you perhaps have any x-rays ? It might be possible that the problem with your back teeth, might also be related to your wisdom teeth. You are at the right age for it .
With regards to the front teeth- an overbite is usually corrected with orthodontic treatment. If you are undergoing ortho, they sometimes also allow your posterior teeth to over-erupt in order to correct the overbite.
So orthodontic treatment will be focused on your entire arch of teeth and not only on the front teeth. Any other discrepancies, will also then be addressed during the orthodontic treatment.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I foresee a couple of potential problems. If you roots are short, braces can shorten them even more. If your jaws are in an uncomfortable position, braces can stress your jaw joints (TMJ) even more. If braces is appropriate, make sure you see a well-respected and experienced orthodontist because I've seen too many failed cases.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I agree with honestdoc. An experienced orthodontist will treat a case with short roots in such a way to prevent any future complications. The only other way to decrease an increased overbite, would then be some sort of prosthodontic rehabilitation.

Vote:

Ask a Question