Tooth pain spreading

Hi all, about a week back I started getting a pain in one of my bottom left teeth when I had something cold. This continued whenever I had something cold, and once or twice whilst smoking, though not often whilst smoking. The pains were very bad and i am embarrassed to say i was nearly in tears a couple of times. After a few days the pain seemed to be spreading kind of. Not the same excruciating pain localised at the root of one tooth but a more general soreness on the inner left side of my face around the original tooth which then spreads to behind my left eye and forehead. as if feeling a bit sore after being punched in the face (though I never have been punched in the face thankfully).

İnitially I thought maybe there was a hole which then got infected and spread but after going dentist today he said there is no hole, and no tooth decay after taking an X ray. He said it must be sensitivity and gave me sensodyne toothpaste which I gave back to him.

He could be right but I am unconvinced. Ibuprofen helps but I don't intend to take ibuprofen forever.

Any ideas or recommendations would be very welcome

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Without intraoral images and x-rays, I'm only able to guess you may be grinding/clenching and/or brushing too hard. Did you experience any stress or changes in your daily routine? Do you use a medium or hard bristled toothbrush and the bristles are all flattening?

Vote:
IMG_20180928_074425.jpg
IMG_20180928_074322.jpg
Without intraoral images and x-rays, I'm only able to guess you may be grinding/clenching and/or brushing too hard. Did you experience any stress or changes in your daily routine? Do you use a medium or hard bristled toothbrush and the bristles are all flattening?

Not sure if these pics help, I have not had any changes I can think of. I have also attached a pic of my brush

I have been dentist and dr's and neither really had a clue just offered me pain killers

Attachments

• IMG_20180928_080711.jpg
    IMG_20180928_080711.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 329

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Take copies of your Xrays and go elsewhere for a 2nd opinion. That degree of pain sounds wrong. And just because the pain feels like it's coming from that tooth, doesn't mean you should only look there. I would be inspecting adjacent teeth, including any wisdom teeth. X-rays, pulp tests, percussion tests, transillumination.

Vote:

Ask a Question