Tooth Pain after Filing

Dear Group:

I had two filings last Thursday (3/22) in the morning. I only expected to have a 2 stage replacement filing on tooth #15 but the dentist discovered that tooth #14 in the back that needed a 3 stage filling right next to the other one right around the flossing line at the base of the tooth in the back.

My sinuses and allergies were very poor and I was having great difficulty keeping my mouth wide open because of some muscle cramping on the opposite side of the mouth (lower right), thus I do not know if my filling stayed in or has come out. I probably needed some suction after the drilling ended but before application of the filling since I was having difficulty swallowing. I was given a composite filing. I had a hard time sleeping last night (but could sleep), thus I told the medical assistant at the front desk that my pain was about or 2 or 3 today (3/26) and was given a sample of Sensodyne toothpaste and asked if I felt pain when I drank hot or cold. I found out later it was after drinking cold. She said if my pain persisted till Monday 4/2 to come in or if it gets worse to come in immediately. So I don't know if the pain is caused by sensitivity or the absence of a filing.

I was wondering if you had any ideas. I checked with the medical assistant of the dentist today because my aunt who was a retired dental assistant said to take care of that immediately as I had assumed that my filing fell out (which may or may not be true). They can squeeze me in Monday or Tuesday to take x-rays which would be 12 days after the filling was put in. Thanks. That said, because of the dentist bedside manner, I was thinking of changing to my wife's dentist for my next dental cleaning. I think after 7 years with the same dentist, I am just looking for a change even though I had been happy with the dentist in the past.

It is fairly common for you to have some pain or sensitivity in the treated tooth after a filling. A dentist was just poking around and drilling in the tooth after all. Usually, any discomfort should fade after a day or two. The type of filling your dentist used can also cause sensitivity or discomfort in the tooth.

Hope this helps.

Vote:

Ask a Question