Tooth Infection

Morning, I had awful toothache and attended an emergency appointment with my Dentist on 28th June to find out I had infection in 2 teeth. They prescribed me 5 days of antibiotics which relieved the pain within 2 days (I did finish the 5 day course), but they could not give me an appointment for root canal until 13th July. Today I find myself in the same position feeling dreadful with awful toothache along with a high temperature, dizziness and pain when swallowing. I called my dentist to see if they could give me another course of antibiotics to see me through to my next appointment and was told they would not do this without seeing me. My dentist is an hours drive away and as I say I feel dreadful and could not face a 2 hour round trip. So, called my GP who informed me that the symptoms I am experiencing are all symptomatic of a tooth infection and I would need to contact my dentist. Any advices to help me through the next 5 days would be much appreciated. Thank you

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day
Often with a dental abscess, the appropriate pain killers to use, is something that is anti-inflammatory. Contact your GP for a possible prescription. Or try over the counter anti-inflammatory medication.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You really need to see if you can get in sooner somewhere and have definitive treatment (extraction or start root canal). To simply give antibiotics without treating the cause is poor use of antibiotics and sometimes doesn't work (like you). That is akin to treating an infected splinter in your hand with antibiotics: the "3Ds" of dentistry are: Diagnosis, Definitive treatment, and only then Drugs.

Vote:

Ask a Question