Tooth filling

My old tooth filling was chipped past few weeks. To replace, my new dentist has drilled so hard that part of my tooth fell off. I was told there was bacteria behind my old filling and due to lack of support part of my tooth is gone. I have quarter of my original tooth left.
Xray now shows this very close to nerve. I have been fitted with temporary filling for 3 months to assess how things go after which either be new permanent filler, or crown or root canal as worse case.
Its been 4 days since my temporary filler and my tooth is so sensitive even drinking water at room temprature. I am avoiding chewing on that side.
So my question really is should the drilling be so harsh to make patients loose part of tooth and so close to the nerve that creates more problems that before please? Or is this normal practice and its common for people to end up with major filling or even a crown.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.

Solutions
It would be very difficult to prove anything. If you had an x ray done before the filling you could take that to another dentist for an opinion. But any dental work can upset a tooth, particularly if it's a molar with a big filling. In my experience some dentists are less invasive than others and have different techniques. But you don't know that until they start to work on a tooth. It's best to go to a "minimally invasive" practice if you are worried.

Vote:

Ask a Question