Tooth filling / pain

Hi everyone,

I am new here and figured I’d try presenting my situation in the hope someone maybe able to shed some light.
In 2017 I had a metal filling fitted into one of my upper back teeth (5th from the front I believe), anyways no problems at all after that until recently I felt the very surface edge of that particular tooth appeared to have cracked and I experienced mild toothache so I decided to book an appointment with my dentist.

he looked at it and said oh yes I can see a little bit has come away and so he then proceeded to fit a new filling ontop of the already existing metal filling, but this is the white coloured type filling. This led to pain when biting down on food, booked another appointment... he tweaked it again and said all should be fine... it wasn’t . I went to the dentist AGAIN yesterday and he said the filling looks fine and he can’t seem to figure out where the pain is coming from when I eat. He said there could be an infection but that would tend to keep me up at night (which it doesn’t).

I seem to be at a loss with what to do.. he did suggest a root canal but didn’t want to go down that route when the tooth doesn’t seem to be decaying (he did an X Ray). The verdict was to see how it goes and if it worsens , come back.
If Anyone has any insight that would be great but I am finding myself having to chew carefully on one side now in order not to anguish the sensitive tooth.

thanks! Carl

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Are you sure your dentist placed a new white filling on top of your existing metal filling? That is very unusual because the white filling does not bond to the metal. After the filling was placed, did you feel your bite had changed? You can ask your dentist to use a plastic stick called the "tooth sleuth." Your dentist will have you bite into the stick and you may feel discomfort when you bite down. If you have pain when you release your bite, your tooth may have an internal crack. Further testing may be needed to determine if you need a root canal and or crown, or just adjust or replace the filling.

Vote:
Are you sure your dentist placed a new white filling on top of your existing metal filling? That is very unusual because the white filling does not bond to the metal. After the filling was placed, did you feel your bite had changed? You can ask your dentist to use a plastic stick called the "tooth sleuth." Your dentist will have you bite into the stick and you may feel discomfort when you bite down. If you have pain when you release your bite, your tooth may have an internal crack. Further testing may be needed to determine if you need a root canal and or crown, or just adjust or replace the filling.
Hi, thanks for your reply.
I am definitely sure that I have two different types of filling in the same tooth yes. The metal one is deeper and then the whiter one sits closer to the surface. After he first fitted the white one I noticed my bite wasn’t right but this was only ‘afterwards’ when I got home. Then overnight my bite felt ok again but then came the pain. He insists the filling is sitting ok yet the pain persists when chewing..

I have to ring again Monday and this time I’m going to request to speak to the dentist directly rather than the receptionist. If I require a root canal I’d rather him just get it over and done with to avoid this. He said it’s a 50/50 chance the root canal will work otherwise I lose the tooth.

Vote:

Ask a Question