Tooth Extraction with Infection

About 2 months ago, my dentist discovered that I had two abscessed teeth, and he referred me to an oral surgeon for extractions. When I went to the appointment a couple weeks later, the oral surgeon only wanted to remove one tooth at a time since the teeth were on different sides of the mouth. He removed my bottom left molar that had been abscessed at that time.

Prior to having the first tooth out, I had been on antibiotics. Now it has been more than a month since I have been on antibiotics and last night I went into a bad tooth ache with the tooth that is supposed to be extracted today, leading me to believe the infection is back. I've always heard that you aren't supposed to have a tooth extracted that has active infection due to the possibility of the infection spreading through the bloodstream. I called the oral surgeon's office this morning and they said they still want me to come in to have the tooth extracted.

My question is: Is it safe to have the extraction even though there seems to be an active infection?

Ask a Question