tooth extraction what to expect?

ok so in a few weeks i am having all of my teeth pulled out, so that next january when my jaw has healed i can have dentures put in. the surgeon said he would put me to sleep so im not awake during the surgery. he also said he would file down my jaw bone so its level allowing the jaw to heal better then he would stitch it up the jaw or im guessing the sockets so i dont bleed to death

my question is what should i expect in terms of recovery will the surgeon use dissolving stitches or will i have to go back to get the removed

im not nervous im just happy to be getting the work done years of dental neglect have caused me to be in this situation

so share your experiences tell me what i need to expect after the surgery after all my teeth are pulled out

edit also i will most likely have to eat soft foods for a long time what should i expect

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I prefer dissolving sutures, and most surgeons I know do also. Usually slowe to dissolve however, and the surgeon will have you back for followup to see how you're healing about the time they're loosening. That can be a bit annoying, and he might remove them anyway.
Pain-wise, he will prob give/suggest painkillers and icepacks for you. Get some combination ibuprofen/acetominophen (Nuromol/Maxigesic), and start taking as soon as possible after treatment.
You will be eating soft foods for quite a while, so stock up. It's not going to be easy, but lots of people have done it before and survived. It will all up take about 3 months for the gums and bone to fully heal.

Vote:
I prefer dissolving sutures, and most surgeons I know do also. Usually slowe to dissolve however, and the surgeon will have you back for followup to see how you're healing about the time they're loosening. That can be a bit annoying, and he might remove them anyway.
Pain-wise, he will prob give/suggest painkillers and icepacks for you. Get some combination ibuprofen/acetominophen (Nuromol/Maxigesic), and start taking as soon as possible after treatment.
You will be eating soft foods for quite a while, so stock up. It's not going to be easy, but lots of people have done it before and survived. It will all up take about 3 months for the gums and bone to fully heal.

where can i find a list of soft foods i can eat im a picky eater and also am dealing with food /stomach issues so need to watch what foods i eat

Vote:
Soft Foods...

Ensure or Boost if it's really sore.

Peanut Butter possibly with some white bread. Boiled Eggs. Jello. Things like Angel Food Cake or similar consistency.

im a tad nervous tho since im having all my teeth pulled out as for soft foods not really uneasy as i already have my list figured out

Vote:
Well yha I understand. I almost went that route.

Instead I went to a dental college, and pursued weekly visits with an assigned student which was massively time consuming but well worth it now looking back.

I paid $500.00 per implant. Plus around $400 per crown for the tooth that sits on top of the implant.

Vote:

Ask a Question