Tooth extraction, Do I need a stitch?

Hi there
I have just had a tooth extraction from hell. Had done a root canal years ago and no pains but according to X-ray the doctor said need the extraction due to chronic infection showing as a shadow in X-ray.Took over on hour of excruciating pain, no joke, screams were involved and tears rolling down my face, despite endless injections. Anyhow, I am back at home and pain is killing me i am taking ibuprofen and was given Amoxicillin. That all aside I just looked at my jaw and it seems messed up to the side and looks terrifying and no stitches. The dentist did put some little sponge looking thing in. I am wondering shouldn’t this have been, be, stitched??? Sorry horrible experience and I cannot live through any complications.
I appreciate t he advice.

Attachments

• 0AEDF014-04D3-47C7-A52A-6EC2B9530B48.png
    0AEDF014-04D3-47C7-A52A-6EC2B9530B48.png
    963.7 KB · Views: 156
  • B3D32AE5-FE8B-4DA1-8064-F7DF10E6CFAE.jpeg
    B3D32AE5-FE8B-4DA1-8064-F7DF10E6CFAE.jpeg
    432.9 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Sorry for your traumatic experience. Believe it or not your dentist did a good job. Your case unfortunately can be hard for any dentist. Bottom teeth are more difficult to anesthetize due to lower nerve anatomy and chronic infection makes it even harder. Previous root canal treated teeth do not want come out and will break into many pieces. You do not need a stitch there because the hole is closing with the blood clot. Try taking Tylenol with ibuprofen to relieve pain and finish the Amox once you have started taking it. If you haven't taken Amox and you have no swelling, then don't take it. Taking antibiotics unnecessarily will lead to bacterial resistance.

Vote:

Ask a Question