Tooth discoloration - Soda

I have small yellow-ish streaks on some of my front teeth.

After I brush at night, before bed I finish my work and down a cup of coca cola, and have been doing so for a long long time.

I know that soda results in the decolouring of teeth, but If I were to perhaps drink that cup of coca cola before brushing at night, would I notice a huge difference? Or for that would I have to stop drinking cola all together?

Note;- I do drink a lot of soda/cola (maybe 500ml a day)

I'm not a dentist, but my two cents are this:
  • When you drink soda your teeth becomes temporarily weaker by the acid. So if you drink soda and then brush (within some 30-60 minutes after drinking), your teeth might get damaged. So don't drink then brush immediately afterwards.
  • If you want to continue drinking soda after you brush, you should drink some water afterwards, or even better do something to get your spit production up (have a sugarfree gum or a slice of cheese), as spit is the best protection against acidic drinks.
  • Coke, tea, coffee, wine and berries are part of an ordinary life. I think it's best to just live like you wish, and then if you'd like white teeth, whiten them once in a while. Perhaps once or twice a year.
My answers are assuming you don't drink "heavy coke", i.e. sugared coke. If you do, then I would most definitely recommend using a fluoride mouth wash afterwards. After all, your teeth are already clean from the brushing, so all they need is fluoride.

Discoloration is easy to reverse.
Acid damage is hard to reverse.

If I've got it right, what happens when you drink sugar is that the bacteria feeds of the sugar and creates acidic pockets in the teeth, so the cavities are actually caused by the acid.

Vote:

Ask a Question