Tooth about to break?

Hi all,

I only posted a few days ago, have left my dentist ready to sign up to a new one, and have just noticed this.

I have a filling in my upper molar, been there for years, and I can’t remember the tooth being anything other than dark.

I’ve just noticed these cracks in it, and am now worried it’s going to break off before I get to see my new dentist, and I will end up with no dentist and a broken tooth! I should have my new dentist by February, do you think it can wait until then? It’s not been a good few months for my teeth and my anxiety!

Any help would be appreciated as I’m very worried.

Thanks in advance, Phil.

Attachments

• 029221CD-8C1E-4A86-9843-4EAEEB1A9E7C.jpeg
    029221CD-8C1E-4A86-9843-4EAEEB1A9E7C.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 324
  • 5FAC1C66-3091-4847-A473-A29BC54D6198.jpeg
    5FAC1C66-3091-4847-A473-A29BC54D6198.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 350
  • E6B181E0-B7C4-47E6-9A99-59EFB47D73D3.jpeg
    E6B181E0-B7C4-47E6-9A99-59EFB47D73D3.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 329

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
May be about to break the back outer cusp, but who can tell how long it's been like that? Sometimes cracks never eventuate into anything more serious. If that was starting to crack, I'd expect the tooth to get sensitive to chewing pressure. Sometimes they just break off without any provocation or warning.
If it does break, you would simply end up with a larger filling, or sometimes consider a crown.

Vote:
May be about to break the back outer cusp, but who can tell how long it's been like that? Sometimes cracks never eventuate into anything more serious. If that was starting to crack, I'd expect the tooth to get sensitive to chewing pressure. Sometimes they just break off without any provocation or warning.
If it does break, you would simply end up with a larger filling, or sometimes consider a crown.
Hi Matt,

Thanks for coming back.

I can feel them 2 vertical cracks and the horizontal one with my fingernail, I don’t really know how it’s staying together, as they seem to of created a piece that should of fallen off by now! Ha.

It feels weak if I touch it, but there is no pain when I eat on it. I remember seeing the dark to light contrast before, which I’m assuming is discolouration from the filling, but can’t remember noticing the cracks before.

I don’t know if it just my anxiety making it feel odd or the actual tooth itself.

Cheers,

Phil

Vote:
I felt another little cracking today.

Do you think it’s an urgent trip to the dentist now, as it doesn’t look like it’s going to last long?

Attachments

• 39A7001D-97EF-4190-8268-C18CB43922B1.jpeg
    39A7001D-97EF-4190-8268-C18CB43922B1.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 293

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I think your anxiety is getting to you. Unless you have symptoms, e.g. pain on chewing, then leave it alone. There's no way of telling how long a crack may persist in that state. " How long is a piece of string?"

Vote:
I think your anxiety is getting to you. Unless you have symptoms, e.g. pain on chewing, then leave it alone. There's no way of telling how long a crack may persist in that state. " How long is a piece of string?"
Hi Matt,
So if someone came to you with a tooth like that, you might not do anything?
I agree that I am obsessing over my teeth at the minute. I’m not actually eating a lot that involves chewing in fear of breaking them.
They seem to be weak, and I’ve actually worn down and created cracks on the other molars on the other side too. I’m guessing the tension that I’m creating is causing it all as all 4 molars top and bottom feel sensitive on and off.

Relax and let them settle down you think?

Sorry to be a pain asking questions, but it’s helping me get a bit of perspective.
Thanks again, Phil.

Vote:
When I say there’s no pain, there hasn’t been any excruciating pain, but both top molar are aching, and feel odd when I bite down, they just feel weak, tender if that’s the right word.

Can jaw tightness create this kind of feeling?

Vote:

Ask a Question