Tooth abfraction and receded gum help

Hello!

I am an 18 year old with good oral health, according to my dentists. I brush twice a day and try to floss almost every day and between meals.

However, in October, I realized that the gum of my left front tooth had receded and there was some damage to my tooth itself. You can't see it when I smile, but I feel it when I run my tongue over it.

I asked a dentist about this at my cleaning in October, and she said it was fine, and that I was just brushing too hard. Not to worry about it falling out or anything.

It has still been bothering me. It feels really sensitive when I talk, swallow, and eat. It doesn't "hurt" but it's uncomfortable and tender.

I use a Phillips Sonicare tooth brush but am careful not to aggravate the area. I turn off the brush and carefully use it manually to get rid of bacterial buildup in the area.

I visisted the dentist again in January for a cavity filling and the dentist, again said my teeth were great, dug around in the divet where the gum receded, and found that were was no bacterial decay, but they did nothing to fix the problem.

It's been bothering me so much that I am starting to develop a lisp because when I talk I try to prevent my lips from touching the tender area. I'm afraid that it's going to fall out, which I know is irrational.

I just don't understand why the dentists haven't helped me with this. I am scheduled for a cleaning in May, as I am a college student and don't have access to a dentist at school unless I ask a friend to take me 40 minutes away.

I do not drink soda or eat very much candy. I avoid acidic foods. I even stopped drinking coffee. I need some advice on this.

Thanks,
Lizzie

Attachments

• tooth.jpg
    tooth.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 276
You have some recession in the area of #9. When this happens, cementum can become exposed and is usually more sensitive than enamel.

It is hard to tell in just that one picture, but it doesn't look like the recession is very extreme - meaning that it is highly unlikely that this would cause you to lose the tooth. Just make sure that you are not brushing / flossing aggressively.

As far as the sensitivity, there is an OTC option that you can try. You can try using Sensodyne toothpaste to decrease the amount of sensitivity. Sensodyne has tiny particles in the paste that blocks dentinal tubules, therefore blocking sensitivity of the tooth. It can take up to a month for the effects to work, so don't give up if you don't feel results immediately.

However I recommend that you return to your dentist for further care. There are desensitizing options that he/she can try on the exposed root surface. It is possible that when you brought up the sensitivity initially that he did not realize how much of a problem this tooth has been for you. Make it clear what your chief complaint is about that tooth so that the dentist can provide you the best treatment!

I hope that helps you. Best of luck.

Vote:

Ask a Question