Tooth #30 extracted 11 days ago, healing normal?

It was a difficult extraction (for root resorption), dentist had to break up the tooth with a power tool (tooth had 3 separate roots). I was careful & followed instructions, but on Day 6 still had red, very sore gum. Dentist prescribed antibiotics over phone, which I take for 4 more days. The wound is covered over, but very deep and especially concave on the cheek side. I have periodic aching of my jaw, cheek, ear, or forehead (though pain is not severe). Gum is still tender on cheek side. Photo doesn't show how concave/deep the wound is. . . . Is it healing normally? Dentist doesn't want to see me for another 10 days.
20211213_114048[1].jpg

Thanks very much! I ended up phoning the dentist again because of continuing earache, etc., but he said the pain would be concerning only if it got worse. He had me start on mouthwash rinses containing hydrogen peroxide. I see him in one more week.

Vote:
Three weeks after the extraction, the gum is still somewhat reddish and sore, and now I'm wondering if the white areas are not the normal healing covering, but actually a bit of bone protruding? I gingerly touched a pointy white spot that juts up from the gum, and it is hard, like bone. Is this concerning? I finally get to see the dentist again this Thursday. Should I wait til I see him, or call in Wednesday about this hard, white pointy protrusion from the sore gum?

Vote:

Ask a Question