Tongue lesions then soreness

I cannot determine the offending cause of this current chronic soreness on the dorsal (top) surface of the tongue near the midline groove. This started out with visible lesions/ulcers on and around the tip and sides of the tongue 6 weeks back. I would usually associate the sores with the irritant SLS in my toothpaste, but this time, the sores took 3 weeks to subside even though I had switched to a SLS-free toothpaste right away. I was then treated with an antiviral (acyclovir) for about 10 days and noticed no change. Bacterial culture results were negative as were labs for autoimmune diseases. I don't believe a fungal culture was run, however, there are no visible signs of thrush (i.e. white patches). I also had no striae (white lacy patches) that is common with oral lichen planus. The lesions abated, but the soreness continued.

The oral surgeon diagnosed this as glossitis https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossitis. I was concerned it could be BMS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_mouth_syndrome , however, by definition, BMS has no visible signs (i.e. painful lesions) which I displayed at the onset. I am very health conscious, have taken a plethora of supplements for years and a few meds (blood pressure/thyroid) and never had issues, eat all organic, no processed food, & exercise regularly. I am unable to tell if any food, supplement or med causes or even worsens the soreness as it just hangs. It's not a burning or throbbing soreness, but rather just tender when touched or when I flex my tongue as well as some dryness when breathing through my mouth. There are no visible signs or redness or swelling at this point.

All input appreciated as to possible causes and treatment.

Last edited:

Ask a Question