Told to try new mouth guard in toilet and then go home

Hi,

My gut is telling me they did wrong but I need to confirm.

I've had bruxism for the past few years and I've just had a mouth guard for my front two teeth made for me. I've never had to go to the dentist for anything like this before.

I was late and the receptionist gave me the guard and said I can try it on in the toilets. I was shocked and she noticed and said it's normal to try it on there and then go home. I told her this doesn't seem right. I walked to the toilet and opened the door and just shut it again. Came back to the receptionist and she asked how the fit was. I said it seems fine.

She could obviously tell I wasn't happy and I was putting the guard in its box and taking my coat to go home. She then walked away and came back a few minutes later to say the dentist will see me.

The dentist made me try it on, asked how it felt. I didn't expect it to be so thick and high and she explained it was because it only covered the front four teeth. She then made a big deal about how my back teeth may move when wearing this gaurd after a prolonged period of time.

Is this normal to try the guard in the toilets? Surely it can't be because it is so unhygienic.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Solutions
Not it's not normal to try a guard on in the toilets. You try it on in the dentist's chair.

The type of guard you describe isn't good to wear long term because some have found it can lead to an open bite on your back teeth. You should only use it for a few weeks to see if it brings relief. More as a diagnostic tool.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It's odd to try it on in the toilet - what would it prove? You still have to get the dentist to place and adjust it.
Busybee's sort of correct - these are only designed to be short term use because the back teeth can overerupt (overgrow), and then you develop an openbite with your front teeth. For long term use, you need a full arch coverage splint (Michigan design).

Vote:

Ask a Question