to build up a molar over a rootcanal without loading it

I would be very grateful for any advice. My rootcanaled molar broke below the gum line in such a way that a crown is not doable. To avoid extraction of the tooth, my dentists suggests the following: not to extract the (rootcanaled) root of my broken-off molar, but to put a sealant on top of the exposed molar root, and build it up so that it will be half a centimeter higher than the gum line. This would mean that there is no proper loading of the tooth, and also (I fear) that the two adjacent teeth, one rootcanaled premolar and a molar, will take most of the impact of chewing (and maybe break as well).. I also wonder what a stump of a molar that cannot really chew will do to the bone mass around the root (in view of a future implant), but also what will happen to the opposing molar now that it does not meet any resistance when biting. It will grow, perhaps? Would this cause any problems later if I want an implant?

drmins

Verified Dentist
I suggest you to get a post and core build up done and have it crowned (based on an x-ray image). It can be then actively utilized for chewing.
Maintaining a stump just few millimeters above gumline may cause in supra-eruption of the opposing tooth and may affect the implant you plan in the future.

Vote:

Ask a Question