Throbbing Pain after Deep filling [xray] Root canal or time to settle?

Hi all,

A week from today i started to get a throbbing pain in my upper left molar xray showed decay as shown in the pic below, even though this shadow was there for a year previously my dentist was keeping an eye on it.
I went to get a second opinion and they had to remove the metal crown / get rid of the decay and place a filling...
The xrays showed no infection and the nerve is still alive after doing a dry ice test

The issue I have now is that i still get these throbbing pains especially if i drink something warm is this due to the inflammation? I have been taking neurofen for the past week every day which definitely helps.. I'm just concerned about when I can come off the anti-inflammatory painkillers?
Can this take weeks to get rid of the throbbing from inflammation? I really don't want to do a root canal as I have had 4 already if this can be saved without it would be the best.

Attachments

• Ajay Kapoor.jpg
    Ajay Kapoor.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Based on the x-ray, it does seem like the tooth might need a root canal. It is important to note, that a tooth with irreversible pulpitis, will still test vital with cold tests.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If you need to take analgesics 4-hrly, or if the pain wakens you at night, then an RCT.
If you need analgesics only occasionally, then give it 1 more week only. If pain continues, then RCT.

Vote:

Ask a Question