Three teeth removed for braces

I am currently 21 yo and looking to get braces as my top line is 3mm to the left. This is due to the removal of the lateral incisor on that side when I was around 15/16 yo. Whilst I do not regret this as it was bulging out my mouth at the time I am now being told that to get braces and make everything align I will need to get the lateral incisor on the right side of the top removed as well.

As well as this due to a cluster at the bottom i have been told the recommendation is that two are removed at the bottom in addition to the one on the top leaving the total teeth removed to three. This feels like a lot of teeth to me and any negatives/positives/potential issues in the future that anybody could point my way would help me make my decision a lot easier.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Usually extractions are recommended when there is a severe space shortage in the maxilla or the mandible. For them to suggest removal of your upper lateral incisor as well as other extractions, it might indicate that you have such a shortage, but it is impossible to give an opinion without an xray or photos. Usually there is a comprehensive treatment plan drawn up by your orthodontist. This might include post ortho treatments, such as bridges, implants or even shaping your canines in order to camouflage them as laterals.
If you have any concerns, bring this up with your orthodontist, so that the rationale behind the proposed treatments can be explained to you in full. As well as what the plan will be after the ortho is finished.
It is quite common for extractions to take place prior to ortho treatment, depending on the severity of the case.

Vote:
Good day

Usually extractions are recommended when there is a severe space shortage in the maxilla or the mandible. For them to suggest removal of your upper lateral incisor as well as other extractions, it might indicate that you have such a shortage, but it is impossible to give an opinion without an xray or photos. Usually there is a comprehensive treatment plan drawn up by your orthodontist. This might include post ortho treatments, such as bridges, implants or even shaping your canines in order to camouflage them as laterals.
If you have any concerns, bring this up with your orthodontist, so that the rationale behind the proposed treatments can be explained to you in full. As well as what the plan will be after the ortho is finished.
It is quite common for extractions to take place prior to ortho treatment, depending on the severity of the case.
Thanks for the response, however I have two follow up question for you.

What has currently been communicated to me is that the bottom is almost necessary due to the crowding on the lowering area. This is something I have accepted and believe that aesthetically will be fine once they have all been straightened out.
However, my only concern is the upper right lateral incisor removal as you have already gathered. I have been told that this is obviously my choice as to whether or not I wish for the central incisors to be aligned with the middle of my mouth. This is due those two teeth having shifted left after the removal of the left lateral incisor. Would this look odd aesthetically? And my final worry which might be nothing would be would this affect my jaw/bite removing this many teeth? If required I would happy to provide pictures on this forum which give you more detail.

Thanks

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Usually the treatment plan can have an ideal outcome or a compromised outcome. If the orthodontist suggested removing the lateral in order to adjust the midline, it is most likely to give you the best aesthetic outcome. If you want to rather leave the lateral in situ, you will have to accept the fact that the orthodontist will try and camouflage it, but you will never have that 100% aesthetic outcome.
Some orthodontists utilize digital platforms to show you more or less what the end result will look like. You can maybe ask about that.
With regards to your bite--usually at the end of orthodontic treatment, the aim will be to leave your teeth in the most harmonious occlusal relationship.

Vote:

Ask a Question