This may be a long read.

I had extensive work done at a dentist that for many reasons I lost all confidence in. All of these reasons have to do with what I believe can only be described as substandard skills. I am not trying to attack this dentist, I actually hate that I am not able to provide high praise because I appreciate the help she provided that is not related to technical skills, she helped me figure out the source of my extreme fear of the dentist and so honestly changed my life for the better and I am always going to be grateful for that.

The big problem though, is that I have severe problems related to treatments she provided and these cannot be corrected. For example, I have a bridge that is not fitted properly, I am biting my tongue and cheek when I speak, my bite is off and I have increasing discomfort in the 2 anchor teeth that several dentists agree will eventually require root canals to relieve. The material of the bridge is so thin that adjustments are not possible without the complete destruction of the porcelain, and the metal was visible from the moment it was delivered. I commented on this and the Dr. told me that it was because a natural tooth reflects light and because these were not "live" teeth they would appear dark at the gums like that. It didn't seem right but I have no knowledge to challenge this explanation and so I gave the benefit of the doubt to hee. Other issue were not as permanent and can be corrected, like fillings regularly needing replaced, cement being left around the side of a crown, choosing to form a night guard from an impression which involved a missing tooth that was to be replaced a short time from then and so would make that appliance useless, what actually happened is that it broke a couple of weeks after I received it anyway.

I would like to just move on because I found a new dentist who is amazing and we are getting through these hurdles. The problem is that I am experiencing some feelings that I have never dealt with before. It is pain but not like a toothache, it is like sharp, burning, take my breath away intense white hot metallic episodes of extreme discomfort that overloads my senses and seem to be from a particular area but when the dentist examines the tooth it is fine. I am wondering, and it honestly is a terrifying thought, but I suspect that it may be coming from a tooth that the first dentist performed a root canal on. What if it was not done properly and there is something brewing under this crown instead of the tooth that presented as having a lost filling and Crack. Is this possible and would that be something to bring up with my current dentist? I think she thinks I am crazy because she says that she is baffled as to why I would be having these sensations. Is it possible that it's all in my mind? Or is this something that anyone may have come across in their own careers? Thank you for reading this, and I am more than grateful for any advice you may have.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I'm sorry for your poor experience. Anytime one gets an extensive treatment plan, I always recommend getting different opinions. I'm in the minority that I favor conservative and least traumatic options. If you trust your dentist, by all means bring up all of your concerns.

Vote:
Thank you. You are how I thought every dentist is, I assumed that all dentists were honorable and benevolent because I grew up with a dentist in the family,spent summers working in the office and it never occurred to me that there could be dentists that weren't operating their office with an intense sense of responsibility and care. Thank you for being ethical.

Vote:

Ask a Question