The effects of not following traditional advise of tightening braces?

I don't usually tighten my braces once a month, I might do them once every 1.5 months or 2 months. The reason I do that is because I feel that is not necessary as its more like a routine checkup rather than him actually tightening my braces. At most times it takes him less than 5 or 4 minutes to do his work, he would only thrust some pointy things onto the bracket which i presume is to check on somethings, I don't really know, this usually happens when I make visits on short intervals like one month or 1.5 months. Only at certain points (which I presume is when the braces really is lose) of my visit that I have him taking out the whole archwire and then replacing it which takes about 10 minutes or longer than the usual poke my bracket procedure.

My question is, would I be risking anything if I don't follow up with the regular 1 month visit advice (which I think is unnecessary, correct me if I am wrong). Maybe risking a slowdown in estimated straightening of the teeth or even risk having my teeth going back to its original bad position? Right now one of my bottom archwire is detached from one of my brackets which resides at the end of one of my tooth so I am desperate for an answer.

I would follow the treatment plan set by your Orthodontist. He is familiar with your case and is in the best position to advise you. Failure to do so may prolong and or compromise your treatment.

Vote:

Ask a Question