Terrified I made the wrong choice when deciding on a root canal retreatment

OK I am stressed to the max and need some advice. 10 years ago I broke my front tooth in a bike accident. The dentist bonded it and for 8 years it was fine. When it broke off 2 years ago I had to have a root canal and a permanent filling. One year ago I got a crown. It was fine until last week I had horrid pain. I went back to the dentist 3 times before he did an xray. He couldn't find anything but said a small infection wouldn't show. He recommended a root canal retreatment. To go back in and clean the Infection. I explained I am a 20 year old college student I can't pay for a new crown so he said I could keep the crown. He assured me what he was doing was routine and would take 30 min and only one visit. Halfway through he said nope it will take three visits. I now have been reading about retreating a tooth that already has a root canal. I am terrified I made the wrong choice. I can't lose my crown, I can't afford an implant anytime soon. I'm scared I made a mess of my tooth just for a small Infection. Also read about bone loss caused by retreatment and how it would make a dental implant impossible. I am scared I can't lose my front tooth. My dentist is reassuring me without telling me anything. I didn't know how serious retreatment of a root canal is. I just want to be able to keep my crown for the next few years without any problems. Was the retreatment a good idea? Again I wouldn't have agreed if my dentist didn't make it seem so minor.

Retreatment is routinely done and its very appropriate for most cases to rid the infection. Bone loss will only occur if persistent infection present. If retreatment is done and infection is gone then you have saved yourself lots of money, pain and time

Vote:

Ask a Question