Terrible pain after 3 fillings, any help greatly appreciated

Nice to find a place where people help others without asking for something in return. Thanks in advance

Anyhow,
I recently had (March 25th) 3 fillings (or so I was told) done.
I'm not entirely convinced 2 of these were necessary, so far as the possibility of remineralization is concerned. I've had this aching/throbbing pain in my jaw, teeth and gums on the side where I had three composite resin fillings done. Two were in between teeth and 1 was on top/side. This was a week ago, and it took around 1.5 hours. It seemed like a very rough procedure, and I feel perhaps much of it was not 100% necessary. I've never had such consistent oral pain. Eating makes it somewhat worse as does anything hot/cold, even moving my jaw. I have some difficulty even sleeping because it's ever present, only calming down rarely.

History:
-Went in for initial cleaning and xrays February 18th. Was told Dentist didn't have enough time to do comp check, had to schedule for a month later. The lady who cleaned my teeth I recall even saying "You may need a root canal" for almost no apparent reason....
-March 25th had 3 fillings done
-I went back 6 days after as I called and expressed concern, an xray of the fillings was taken. First was told to wait longer to see if it calms down, then was told by the dentist that there are "air bubbles" in one of the fillings (the one closes to the middle) and that it may need to be refilled, so I was scheduled for 3 weeks out to come in and supposedly do it (if pain persists? He wasn't really clear on this). He also very nonchalantly said (almost inferring) that I may very well need a root canal now, and that he's seen the nerves of teeth die from very tiny fillings before. I would like to avoid a root canal at all costs. When I asked him if he could point out the cavities on previous Xrays he pointed to the tooth closest to the middle (which I agree with?) then to other teeth he didn't even work on. Then on the other two he did he just vaguely put is finger over them and said they had blemishes...I cannot personally see anything that looks as though it's down to the dentin.

Prior to all this I only had very minor sensitivity every now and then with hot/cold and the like (maybe once a week or less). It hadn't been very sensitive since I started taking more care of my teeth. It really wasn't too bothersome and doesn't even come close to the discomfort I am experiencing now.

The work was done on 17, 18 and 19 (I believe?) The 3 back lower left (my wisdom teeth were pulled some 15 years ago, I'm 31 now)

I have the Xrays:
-First is most recent, after fillings.
-The next set is very recent.
-Second set is from about 1.5 years ago.

General opinion would be appreciated, regarding both if there are/were cavities that NEED(ed) to be filled and/or if remineralization is/was not possible. I think that if it cannot be certain the cavity is down to the dentin, I personally would much rather do all that I can to reverse it before being drilled. Air bubbles? What is he talking about. How concerned should I be, and what do you think I should do from here? I really want to keep my teeth alive at all costs (ie. not taking out the nerves/blood supply). Were these fillings poorly done, should I allow this dentist to try and refill, or should I go to another dentist (there aren't a lot of options around here).

He also said that there are 3 cavities on the upper left that need to be filled and wanted to schedule me to do those in a month +.

After fillings (air bubbles??):
After Fillings.jpg

Xrays 1 month before fillings:
1 (5).jpg

1 (4).jpg

1 (3).jpg

1 (2).jpg

1 (1).jpg

Last edited:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Unfortunately any drilling on teeth can introduce sensitivities/pain. #29 Distal cavity is marginally necessary (I have 3 cavities like it and I had been monitoring them for over 25 years). If you had rampant cavities, I may have filled it. Otherwise, I would have tried remineralization. #14 Distal should be filled. I would not fill any others.

You do have a lot of interproximal incipient cavities. I would inquire any sugary, acidic, and or creamy beverages (lattes) you drink often and cut them out. I would put you on 5000 ppm supplemental toothpaste like Prevident/Gel-Kam, etc for daily remineralization.

Vote:
Unfortunately any drilling on teeth can introduce sensitivities/pain. #29 Distal cavity is marginally necessary (I have 3 cavities like it and I had been monitoring them for over 25 years). If you had rampant cavities, I may have filled it. Otherwise, I would have tried remineralization. #14 Distal should be filled. I would not fill any others.

You do have a lot of interproximal incipient cavities. I would inquire any sugary, acidic, and or creamy beverages (lattes) you drink often and cut them out. I would put you on 5000 ppm supplemental toothpaste like Prevident/Gel-Kam, etc for daily remineralization.
Many thanks for the reply and expertise mate, really appreciate it.

Ironically neither of those were filled. #29 is on the lower right, all work was done on lower left (as you can see in filling image). The dentist did say they wanted to do 3 in upper left as well, which I image would include #14 however after having these three filled (which I already believed to be unnecessary, and according to your assessment they were not necessary either) I am VERY reluctant about having this dentist do anymore work at all. Let alone correct what they've already done.

What would you recommend I do now? I had 3 teeth filled that were seemingly unnecessary which are now causing me lots of pain/discomfort almost 2 weeks after procedure. Two of them also appear to have voids (air bubbles) in them.
I'm upset with myself for having gone through with this, and I'm upset with this dentist for having done this and not explicitly stated potential outcomes, let alone being trigger happy with fillings and now permanently compromising the integrity of my teeth. I put my trust in someone "responsible" for my physiological care, and they abused that as well as my body.

Last edited:

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I'm so sorry, I meant #20 on LL (sorry I had different cases on my mind). If those are my teeth, I would leave the fillings alone (air bubble and voids can happen), obtain the 5000 ppm and try remineralization and flossing regularly. If you drink any of those high risk beverages I mentioned, drink it fast (less time it bathes around your teeth) and drink lots of water to flush it out. In theory, you sensitivities should subside.

Vote:
I'm so sorry, I meant #20 on LL (sorry I had different cases on my mind). If those are my teeth, I would leave the fillings alone (air bubble and voids can happen), obtain the 5000 ppm and try remineralization and flossing regularly. If you drink any of those high risk beverages I mentioned, drink it fast (less time it bathes around your teeth) and drink lots of water to flush it out. In theory, you sensitivities should subside.
Ah alright, yes #20 on LL is what I initially thought you were referring to. The to behind it were also. #14 was not, however the dentist did say that they wanted to fill the top left three as well, not just #14! No way....

I've cut out 90% of sugar aside from Fruits really. And pretty much only drink water. Brushing and flossing well also.

Just to confirm, you think that all of this pain/sensitivity I am experiencing will subside on its own if I just use personal care? It's been just about 2 weeks and it's not really lessened any. Both in the jaw and those three teeth themselves. Sensitive to hot/cold and pressure of any kind. Flossing in between the three teeth is quite painful as well, at the tops in between them. I chew 95% on my right now, because it's too painful on left which can be bad if prolonged as well....

The three things I've been expressed to try by others have been:
1. Attempt to fix bite (although I don't personally feel that my bite is very off)
2. Redo one (or all?) of the fillings
3. Root canal

My dentist wants to redo filling #20, because of the "air bubbles." And even made it seem like that very well may not work, so a root canal is likely in store. I DO NOT want a root canal at all costs and this is absurd, do you concur?
The 5000 ppm paste should help the three teeth that were filled...?

This is just terrible...dental work here (in U.S.) is SO expensive, and even if you can get some form of dental insurance they don't cover many things and still paying 50-30% is A LOT of money when your impoverished.

Last edited:

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If you have to redo the filling, ask the dentist to use Fuji Equia. It's a glass-ionomer material that bonds naturally and will help desensitize the tooth. It won't have air bubbles and it won't have polymerization shrinkage (1%). You won't need root canal unless the pain is so intense that it wakes you up at night or you have swelling on the tooth. You may consider going to another dentist.

Vote:
If you have to redo the filling, ask the dentist to use Fuji Equia. It's a glass-ionomer material that bonds naturally and will help desensitize the tooth. It won't have air bubbles and it won't have polymerization shrinkage (1%). You won't need root canal unless the pain is so intense that it wakes you up at night or you have swelling on the tooth. You may consider going to another dentist.

I should like to avoid having to drill anymore (especially as I'm afraid of doing any more damage to the nerve), but I will keep it in mind.Looks like the dentist used FUJI Forte. Is Equia that much better?

I went to a walk in clinic (as I have no other options here without $$$) had a dental student see me that eventually said they needed to do a full check and schedule for 3 weeks out (all they had). Here's what we concluded there though: #18 seems fine

Both #19 (MOD compostie) and #20 (DO composite):
Palpation - negative
Percussion - positive
Endo ice - positive (lingering response)
Checked occlusion w/ articulating paper - no visible high spots.
Tooth sleuth used to check for fractures - pain/sensibility on all cusps of both teeth.

Does this help give any more idea as to what's going on? Also, would you consider these fillings to be deep?

Thanks again for your help mate

Xrays taken there:

Attachments

• April 7 2021 (1).jpg
    April 7 2021 (1).jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 44
  • April 7 2021 (2).jpg
    April 7 2021 (2).jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 47
  • April 7 2021 (3).jpg
    April 7 2021 (3).jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Vote:
Forte is the same product. Fuji Equia Forte. Fillings look fine for now.

The chart notes only state the #18 was filled with Fuji Forte (because of moisture etc...), though #19 and 20 do not mention it, and those are the troublesome teeth.

Yes, in observing them in those Xrays they do look "alright." Interesting how different Xrays from same/similar angle can appear quite different.

Do the most recent "test" results that I posted in previous post help to give any idea as to what is happening and what may need to be done? (aside from just looking at the Xrays themselves) (the cold test pain dissipated within 15 seconds or less, and the percussion on #19 & 20 was very minor)

Another dentist said to me (regarding those results): "A positive lingering response would mean the nerve is dying, but positive percussion muddies the water. Generally positive to percussion occurs after the nerve is dead and no long has a cold sensitivity. I wouldn’t consider those filling deep at all and am shocked that you have the lingering response on 19 AND 20. You may just be EXTREMELY unlucky. I have yet to see someone develop pulpitis in two adjacent teeth from simple fillings."

What do you think? Should I just keep waiting this out maybe, not have any of the fillings redone and hope that the pain/sensitivity dissipates eventually (it's been a little over 2 weeks now).

Also I apologies for taking your time, it really does mean a lot to me though.

Last edited:

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I'm very conservative and I favor the least traumatic in waiting it out. Consider taking anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen (taken with food) to minimize pulpal inflammation and minimize exposures to colds.

Vote:

Ask a Question