temporary crown

Hi, apparently I need a crown replacing . The existing crown has a chip in it which my dentist has filled.The crown now seems sound and, to all intent and purpose, is fine. Would It it be absolutely necessary to replace this existing, repaired crown with a temporary crown while awaiting the new one to be made? I know how precarious a temporary crown is so if I could possibly utilise what is already fitted I would feel better.

Hello,
Can you tell me how big the chip is? And what restoration is used by your dentist to fill it?
The existing crown if repaired serves all the functions then you can go with it without its replacement. Because removal of a crown might sometimes fracture a tooth, so it is better to have the same crown rather than replacing it.
And if you are planning to get another crown then that would be the best option.

Vote:
Thanks for your reply. The chip was a small chunk which came away from the back of the crown. My dentist told me that I needed a replacement and filled the hole with resin, although he was not confident as to how long this filling would last. The question still remains as to whether this repaired crown would suffice, as opposed to having a temporary crown fitted until the new one is ready.

Vote:

Ask a Question