Temporary crown came out.

Hi

I have a temporary crown that came out (while I was flossing my teeth). My appointment to have the permanent crown put in is in two weeks.

I read the teeth can move around without the temporary crown in place but I can put the crown back in and it stays in place reasonably well.

I am wondering if/why it is necessary for me to go to the dentist to have the temporary crown cemented back in.

Is it okay if I put the temporary crown back in myself using denture adhesive or the temporary cement they sell at the drugstore/supermarket?

There was a lot of food getting stuck around the temporary crown so I would like to be able to remove it to rinse my mouth after eating. It was hard to get it clean with floss alone.

Is it really necessary for me to go to the dentist to have the temporary crown cemented in place?

A couple of problems I am wondering about are if the stub of the tooth gets worn slightly would that make it hard to get a good bond with the permanent crown (some adhesives need closely fitting surfaces to work well).

Or if the stub is exposed somewhat, more bacteria might become embedded in it than otherwise.

I assume the dentists will say I must go and have it reattached but is that really necessary for two weeks until I have the permanent crown put in?

Thanks

Hi

I have a temporary crown that came out (while I was flossing my teeth). My appointment to have the permanent crown put in is in two weeks.

I read the teeth can move around without the temporary crown in place but I can put the crown back in and it stays in place reasonably well.

I am wondering if/why it is necessary for me to go to the dentist to have the temporary crown cemented back in.

Is it okay if I put the temporary crown back in myself using denture adhesive or the temporary cement they sell at the drugstore/supermarket?

There was a lot of food getting stuck around the temporary crown so I would like to be able to remove it to rinse my mouth after eating. It was hard to get it clean with floss alone.

Is it really necessary for me to go to the dentist to have the temporary crown cemented in place?

A couple of problems I am wondering about are if the stub of the tooth gets worn slightly would that make it hard to get a good bond with the permanent crown (some adhesives need closely fitting surfaces to work well).

Or if the stub is exposed somewhat, more bacteria might become embedded in it than otherwise.

I assume the dentists will say I must go and have it reattached but is that really necessary for two weeks until I have the permanent crown put in?

Thanks

I guess I am wondering what difference does it make if I put the temporary crown back in or the dentist does? What would they do differently than me?

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day,

I would be very careful with some of the temporary cements, since they can sometimes damage the underlying tooth structure when trying to remove it, during the cementation of the permanent crown.
The whole idea of a temporary crown is to give you some function on that tooth until the permanent crown is placed. More importantly-it is to protect the prepared tooth structure until the permanent crown can be placed. If the margins of the prepared tooth become damaged accidentally, it can influence the seal of the permanent crown, which might end up in failure of the treatment.
It would be my suggestion to go back to your dentist, to get it placed back by a professional. This is a lot safer and I know that I don't charge my patients to replace a temporary crown if it becomes loose.

Vote:

Ask a Question