Teeth whitening U18s

My son had a trauma to a front tooth causing it to go grey. Had to have a root canal and was told after 3 months if no pain he could have the tooth whitened as it was still grey. Just been to the dentist and now been told they won’t do it as he’s 16. This was not advised when he had the root canal. He’s now left with a very unsightly grey front tooth. Any advise appreciated. Thanks

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Was the dentist the same person who did the root canal? You may consider another opinion. I've internal bleached a tooth on a person under 18.

Vote:
Was the dentist the same person who did the root canal? You may consider another opinion. I've internal bleached a tooth on a person under 18.
Thanks for the reply. It is the same dental practice but the dentist that did the root canal has since left. I was advised they would try teeth whitening first and then internal bleaching if that wasn’t successful. Nothing was ever mentioned about my son having to be 18.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Old out-of-date thinking was the internal bleaching agents could cause internal root resorption. Modern agents do not cause that anymore. If the tooth can have a root canal, it can hold the internal bleaching. External bleaching can cause irritation and sensitivity more so for younger people which is why they may have mentioned that.

Vote:

Ask a Question