Teeth still sensitive, sore to the touch

Solutions
I made a few post last month about my teeth. Just a quick note. I am a 70 year old male. I have two teeth missing besides my wisdom teeth. I believe they would be #3 ( top right) and # 19 lower left. I have 5 crowns. #7,8,9,2 and 30. I had a cleaning and fluoride treatment on November 18th 2015. I was having some discomfort with # 10 tooth but no trouble with any other teeth. Since then I have had trouble with teeth hitting so most are really sensitive and hurt when they touch together. Right now the front four 7,8,9 10 hurt most of the time. It really hurts when the front top teeth come in contact with-the bottom fronts like when I swallow. I changed dentist after the November appointment. My original dentist had retired and I didn't care for the one who took his place. I went to a different dentist told him my teeth were sensitive, sore and some where hitting after the November 18th appointment. At that time the left rear bottom #18 tooth was hitting the top and the fronts and bottoms hitting. He did some grinding on the left side then the right side started hitting. Went back to him three times, he ground on my teeth and they are still hitting and sensitive
I did a lot of reading and decided to go to a orthodontist and see if he could help. Went to him Monday and he thinks I am grinding my teeth. Put me on some anitinflamatory medicine and I am suppose to call him back Monday and let him know if it helped. I just can't. see how this could start overnight. I don't have any of the symptoms of teeth grinding. The jaw pain, headaches, all that stuff. I have never had a grinding problem that I know of. If I did I wonder if it could start all of a sudden? As far as my bite goes it seems like the hitting part will move around also. When I wake up in the morning and am laying in bed I can put my teeth together and I can feel a little discomfort wit the front teeth but the jaw teeth feel ok but ans the day goes on it seems like they start hitting worse. Does anybody have any ideas on what could be wrong.

Teeth grinding is a common side effect of drugs, like antidepressant and ADHD drugs. Saliva production loss (dry mouth) is also a common side effect of drugs, and is very bad for your teeth.

Get an inexpensive mouth-guard from a pharmacy and wear that at night for a couple weeks and see if that helps.

Stay away from having your teeth ground down... your enamel is very valuable and unrivaled by current man-made products.

Could be phosphorus deficiency. As you age you may be less able to absorb vitamins/minerals and may need to counter that with supplementation.

Also, since you say #7,8,9,2 and 30 have crowns, and #7,8,9 10 is where most of the pain is, it is probable that one of those crowns has reached the end of its life, probably #8 or #9. They don't last forever, about 10 years on average. Does your breath smell bad (indicates decay)? Do you have a bad taste? Are they abnormally sensitive to heat or cold? Is is possible there is decay under the crown... try looking at the crevices between your teeth to spot any decay. Dental mirrors are inexpensive as well...

Vote:
Solutions
I really do appreciate you taking the time to answer my post. I have thought about the teeth grinding. Like I said I am 70 years old. I have been to the dentist every six months for a check up probably for the last 20 years. In the last 20 I have had some dental work done. My old dentist never mentioned anything about me grinding my teeth. If I did it looks like he would have said something. I just wouldn't think teeth grinding would start overnight but I might be wrong. I did buy one of the over the counter night guards that you heat and form but I was afraid it might realign my jaw or something.
Got ahead of myself. I did the noninflammatory medicine. No help.
I totally agree with you on the grinding down of my teeth. I don't want to do that.
I don't know either about the phosphorus deficiency either. I am going to the va before too long. I may ask them to check that.
I did ask my wife about my breath. She said my breath did change for a few days but then back to normal after all this started. It seems like I have always had a bad taste in my mouth off and on. I use Walgreens brand of Biotene and I would say I have dry mouth but have had for a long time.
My teeth aren't really sensitive to heat or cold I would say. If I get ice cream in the left back top of my mouth it bothers me but no where else and I drink hot chocolate and eat hot food without bother.
I have been to one dentist three times and the orthodontist once and they didn't say anything about a cavity. But all my teeth, not just one or two are like sore and sensitive.
As far as my teeth contacting or hitting (that is what's really hurting) I am beginning to wonder if I may have a jaw problem. I told the dentist and orthodontist sometime it feels like I miss bite or something. I read about TMJ and I really don't have any symptoms of that except I have trouble chewing and that's because my teeth are sore. Other than that I don't think I have any symptoms of that. I can tell my mouth posture has changed but it may be because I am try to keep my teeth from touching when I swallow.
At night is my most comfortable time. Before I get up I can close my teeth together and the front lower bottom and top contact but I can't really feel either side jaw teeth contacting hard but after I get and going I can feel them starting to come together more and more until it really hurts.
It is just so strange that I was not having any problems with my teeth, except the one ( #7) before I went to the dentist that day. I don't see where the fluoride treatment could have done anything to my teeth to make them hit but I a still not convinced that it didn't have something to do with all my teeth being sore and sensitive.
Someone did answer my post and they mentioned the cementum part of or around the tooth. They say it contains fluoride itself and they say fluoride can penetrate the gums while you are getting a fluoride treatment especially with the trays. I don't guess it it possible it affected this part of the tooth. I am just reaching here but something is definitely wrong for all my teeth to hurt and all of them to hurt after this treatment. Just saying. Once again I really appreciate you advice and will be glad for more. Thanks

Vote:
I really do appreciate you taking the time to answer my post. I have thought about the teeth grinding. Like I said I am 70 years old. I have been to the dentist every six months for a check up probably for the last 20 years. In the last 20 I have had some dental work done. My old dentist never mentioned anything about me grinding my teeth. If I did it looks like he would have said something. I just wouldn't think teeth grinding would start overnight but I might be wrong.
If you have a partner you sleep next to at night, they'd be able to hear grinding at night. It can sound a bit like scratching your nails on a chalkboard back and forth all night.

I don't know either about the phosphorus deficiency either. I am going to the va before too long. I may ask them to check that.
As you age your body may become less able to absorb certain vitamins/minerals. That is one reason why mega dosed tablets exist for certain nutrients.

I use Walgreens brand of Biotene and I would say I have dry mouth but have had for a long time.
Biotene is a great product, I've used it. It can't emulate everything saliva does, for example acids are rapidly neutralized by buffers in natural saliva while consuming food. While it has phosphate and calcium in it, I suspect Biotene isn't the greatest for remineralization as it has an acidic pH, and I see claims that remineralization occurs only in slightly alkaline pH. But yes, it is one of the best products I can see on the market right now.

Try to treat the dry mouth if you can. The issue can be to salivary stones, or even injuries- have you ever had deep cuts on your cheek which injured the paratoid gland or paratoid duct? Inspect the paratoid duct opening on the inside of both your cheeks. With your fingers inspect the base of your mouth under the tongue for any salivary stones down there.

I have been to one dentist three times and the orthodontist once and they didn't say anything about a cavity. But all my teeth, not just one or two are like sore and sensitive.
Yes makes me suspect a nutritional deficiency. Dairy products are a good way to get calcium and phosphorus/phosphate. If you choose supplementation do 400mg magnesium, ~400mg calcium, ~400mg phosphorus. magnesium can be obtained from epsom salt. Calcium from tums. phosphorus from monosodium phosphate for example. When supplementing, just doing one and not the others may leech the others from your body & bones which is not what you want. If you get these from just normal diet I don't think you need to worry about that.

My above guess about the source of the pain in all your teeth could be wrong. You did say all the pain started after the fluoride treatment didn't you? If so hopefully the pain will go away with time. Listerine with fluoride in it is quite acidic (pH ~3.5-4.3) so maybe the treatment you had was similarly acidic.

Oh, could be the dry mouth too. Dry mouth is really bad for teeth.

As far as my teeth contacting or hitting (that is what's really hurting) I am beginning to wonder if I may have a jaw problem. I told the dentist and orthodontist sometime it feels like I miss bite or something. I read about TMJ and I really don't have any symptoms of that except I have trouble chewing and that's because my teeth are sore. Other than that I don't think I have any symptoms of that. I can tell my mouth posture has changed but it may be because I am try to keep my teeth from touching when I swallow.
At night is my most comfortable time. Before I get up I can close my teeth together and the front lower bottom and top contact but I can't really feel either side jaw teeth contacting hard but after I get and going I can feel them starting to come together more and more until it really hurts.
I don't know, hopefully your medical professionals can figure things out.

Last edited:

Vote:
Solutions
Yes, like I said I was not having trouble with all this before I went for the cleaning and fluoride treatment. I went to the orthodontist office today and gave them some notes as to what has been happening the last week since I too the medication ( Flurbiprofen 100 mg three times a day) I told them nothing has changed. They gave the notes to the doctor and he wants me to go to a Endodonist and let them check the nerves in my teeth and teeth grinding or whatever they do. I do think the dentist I went to should have tried to figure out what is wrong before he started grinding but that is probably my fault. I hope he didn't grind too much of my natural teeth. I was and am looking for relief and I didn't realize grinding on my teeth could be so bad. I guess I'll see what the endodonist can tell me. I'll keep you posted if I find out anything or think of anything else to add to the post. Thanks

Vote:

Ask a Question