Teeth not improving.

Solutions
Hi,

On March 27, 2018 I first posted on here about my teeth having multiple issue due to having high volumes of sugary drinks all of the time, and many other
reasons. (https://www.dentistry-forums.com/threads/will-my-teeth-last-forever-is-it-too-late.24951/)

I got advised to buy tooth mousse, as a many of my teeth started to have white patches, where begins. After using tooth mousse since then, I have also been brushing twice a day with Colgate Duraphat 5000ppm Toothpaste given to me by my dentist. (attached below)

I don't understand why I have seen no difference? I have had the odd sugary drink still here and there, do I need to fully stick with plain water?

Am I using too sodium fluoride? Is that causing the damage?

Should I be brushing my teeth with fluoride tooth paste, flossing and then applying my retainer containing the tooth mousse in that order like I have been? Or does that remove the toothpaste?? I am really confused, and beginning to worry.

Attachments

• IMG_8227.JPG
    IMG_8227.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 43.jpg
    43.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 168
  • 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 208
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 176
  • second.jpg
    second.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 158
  • second2.jpg
    second2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 171

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The order is of usage fine, but don't expect miracles.
I see that you haven't done anything about the decay in the canines. I'd also suggest you replace the old composites for a better appearance.

Vote:
Solutions
But will all of the white area of my teeth eventually go back to how they were originally? Also, is that all the tooth mousse is for? The white patches? Or black parts as well?

With the decay on the canines, what can I do? When I feel around that area it feels like there is no holes there, but just black spots... I am not sure if I can have a filling on them?

With replacing the composites, I am guessing you are mainly referring to the two circles? I worry that the Red circle more specifically would just snap my tooth if they were to renew that as it is a root canal tooth, Doesn't that make it significantly weaker?

Thank you.
1577681416893.png

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The decay as arrowed.
You may not have to remove the entire composites, but cut back the top 2mm and fill over. If your dentist thinks that's OK.

Attachments

• Upper left canine and lower left premolar.jpg
    Upper left canine and lower left premolar.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 161
  • Upper right lateral and canine.jpg
    Upper right lateral and canine.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 142

Vote:
Solutions
You can’t use toothpaste or dental gel to cure the cavities. 100% agree with Dr. MattKW - decay needs to be removed and cavities filled. Regarding white spots, if you do not see much or any improvement after using hygiene product for a while, you need to talk to your doctor. Those white spots can become a real cavities and will require treatment at some point and it would be better if you act now. There is ICON resin material that can be applied on affected areas utilizing resin infiltration technique. ICON will infiltrate the tooth surface to fill voided and defects and restore structural discrepancies throughout entire enamel up to the first layer of dentin; doesn’t require any shots, drilling, no additional tooth damage, just one appointment.

Vote:
Solutions
Problem is with my dentist, I do get treatment for free, but only "essential" treatment. I mentioned the black areas to my dentist in your photo MattKW last year, I got told that it was not essential to have the fillings done as I am not in pain. (even though I thought decay grows if left) I do think they look bad, so what do I do at this point? Lie and say they hurt to get the fillings done? I do want them, but I cannot pay for it with being in full time education at college with 0 income.

Also, to DocT, is ICON resin material I thing I can purchase at home and do at home, or is that something I'd need to do at a dentist? I'm not sure what it is, but it sounds like another thing my dentist will refuse to do as it's not essential, but more of a thing I want??

Should I continue to purchase mousse if I am not seeing any difference? Or is it still making my teeth stronger? If I fully stop carbonated drinks and flavored water (that I drink frequently) will I see a large impact to my teeth?

Thank you for both taking the time to respond :)

Vote:
Solutions
:(It seem's that you have a very beautiful smile, it was very sad if you let those decays go on. And those drinks won't help if they also add pigmentation to your teeth. Acidic drinks will weaken the enamel, and, although you're trying to care your teeth with additional cleaning , at the same time, other habits could be doing the opposite.

Vote:
Solutions
I'm doing as much as I can to reverse any of the effects that I can, I'm now brushing and flossing after each meal, only drink plain water permanently now (until I see some sort of improvement to my teeth) and applying tooth mousse at night times, and sometimes in the afternoons shielded inside of my retainer.

I regret my decisions that I made when I was younger, sugary drinks use to be my only drink. I am thankful I did not get diabetes any similar medical conditions like that with the high volumes of sugar that I had. And It is much more awkward for me to smile (showing my teeth) in public, or even for a photo

I am just hoping that none of my teeth ever need extracted - that's what worries me the most. I just don't know if I have left it too late or not. Either way, I am going to continue trying my hardest, and I am still looking into ICON resin material what was mentioned above as i've never heard of that, and will try my best to get any remaining fillings done that are needed.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Problem is with my dentist, I do get treatment for free, but only "essential" treatment.
What I've indicated is decay, and is essential treatment. These are easy, quick fillings - why wouldn't a dentist want to do it? Can you see a different dentist?
If I fully stop carbonated drinks and flavored water (that I drink frequently) will I see a large impact to my teeth?
Flavoured water has similar problems to carbonated drinks - both have sugars and acids. It doesn't appear that you will see further improvements to your teeth, but at least you're less likely to develop new decay if you go to plain fluoridated tap water (not bottled water).
ICON is not something you could buy or use as a general consumer.

Vote:
Solutions
When you say it doesn't appear that I will see further improvements, do you mean at all? I thought I can get rid of those white patches forming on my teeth myself if I just stick with plain water, regular brushing and tooth mousse? I have tried tooth mousse for a while now, but at the same time I was drinking flavored water and having the odd carbonated drink, so haven't actually tried just plain water.

Also, why does it have to be from a tap and not bottled water? As for fluoridated tap, unless that is your standard tap, I don't have that. My current tap water I don't drink a lot of as you can taste the chlorine inside of it, i've had it checked and got told it was fine, but still unsure.

I don't think i'll be able to do ICON, as my current dentist doesn't even do teeth whitening and some other options... I'll have to look into that.

I have a new concern with these white patches, from reading different sources on the internet, they suggest white patches are a symptom of fluorosis? Is it not possible that I have that? I have been on high fluoride toothpaste for a while now... I hope I don't have that.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Why buy bottled water? It costs thousands of times more than tap water and is less tightly controlled. Some don't have fluoride. So you can taste a bit of chlorine, no big deal. If you've ever tried truly filtered water (like I use in my autoclave and water lines), it is weird because it has absolutely no taste at all. It is also not healthy for long term use.

Vote:
Solutions
True that bottled water costs more. But with me, drinking the water that taste of chlorine makes my physically ill. Not sure why, it doesn't have the same effect on family members. But there is many drinks that I cannot stand such as milk ect..
And when drinking it constantly, for some reason I get like dry mouth and my tongue goes a weird colour and breath starts to smell, this is the same with bottled water however less likely. More of a waking up in the morning thing. Mouth wash tends to fix it.

I know some bottled water doesn't have fluoride, but as mentioned above I'm concerned I could have or get one of those problems that you can get from having too much fluoride. Fluorosis or enemal hypoplasia or any other problem. Surely being on high dose of fluoride toothpaste and tooth mousse is good enough?

Vote:
Solutions
White patches on the teeth surface can have different etymological roots 1) - MIH ( molar incisor hypomineralization) - histologycal defect of enamel, formed before teeth eruption, 2) -demineralization as the result of different events ( insufficient hygiene with excessive bacterial plaque formation) formed after eruption, 3) - acidic drinks, 4) - braces, 5) - fluorosis. Despite of the etiology and mechanism they all have one think in common - histological enamel defect, abnormal tissue formation and weakening of superficial layer of the tooth. In order to stop the process of distraction and restore histological shield - natural tooth protection - you need to rearrange histological pattern. You tried special toothpaste, that was a great idea often providing desirable result. You can try different pastes, GC tooth mousses plus. But if lesions surfaces are not permeable, it’s not gonna work.

Vote:
Solutions
Like mentioned previously, I haven't actually gave tooth mousse and my fluoride toothpaste a go as well as quit drinking acid drinks.. I'm giving that a go and just hoping something changes.

I just hope it's nothing like fluorosis as it appears that teeth go completely white eventually and the completely discolour.

Vote:
Solutions
The process of demineralization could lead to decay, so it's better to find a dentist that could really help you, and, if you don't like the taste of tap water, try to drink tea instead, with no sugar. But, of course, too much tea, like cofee could stained your tooth if the enamel is already porous..well, there's no miracles.

Vote:
Solutions
The main problem with "my dentist" is each time I go to an appointment, it's always a different person, who is not use to the way my teeth look, and think that I don't look after my teeth, even though I consistently look after them now compare to my past. This is why I believe they don't give me the treatment I should have. I can't just go with a different dentist as like I mentioned, it's free here. To move dentist, it can take up to half a year. What can a new dentist actually do? From what I've been informed, the only thing that can be done is ICON for demineralization... The only thing my dentists have done is prescribe high fluoride tooth paste for that I'm guessing..

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question