Teeth moving at 22 years old?

Hi guys, ever since my baby teeth dropped out and my adult took there places I've had huge problems with my teeth. I was living in the UK at the time so I had all of my dental work and orthodontics done by the NHS. They classed me as a category 5 patient, category 5 being the worst and most severe category for teeth. My teeth were very bad, deformed and not aligned at all. I remember always having to close my mouth and smile when ever I had any pictures taken of me because they were that ugly.

Anyway eventually I was old enough to have braces (train tracks) put on to my teeth and within a couple years my teeth were pretty much perfect and aligned just like everyone else in my class at the time. My orthodontist took off my braces when I was 16 years old and said that when you are 18 years old your teeth shouldn't move anymore and they will be stuck in place. She tried to glue some wire on the back of my teeth to keep them in place, however this glue would keep coming off only a few days after i had seen her. So she gave me a retainer and told me to wear it during the day and night since the glue for the wire kept coming undone. Eventually I was about 17 and half years old and I went to see her for my last appointment, by this time I'd known her for about 6-7 years now. She discharged me from her care and told me that I shouldn't need to wear the retainer anymore. I was thrilled, the horrors of my childhood teeth were behind me and I felt really good with my teeth now.

When I turned 18 years old I moved to Thailand to be with my mum. I noticed that slowly my teeth had been moving so I put the retainer back in my mouth when I went to bed at night and this seemed to stop them moving and kept them in place. Now I'm 22 years old and about 5 months ago my retainer broke. So I stopped putting it in my mouth at night, since that time my teeth have been moving again and it looks like they're moving back to there old position where they were before I had the train track braces put in. We've been to several dental clinics in Phuket, Thailand to see what their advice is. They all said that same thing which is that I need to have reconstructive jaw surgery to have my lower jaw moved forward, this is because I have a big under bite. The reason for that they said is because when I was younger I had about 4 teeth removed from my lower jaw to make room for the train track braces which I remember. They went on to say, however the dentist should have given you an injection to help promote the growth of your lower jaw and chin; which I remember they never did. They all said the same things, that I need to have this surgery done first before they can sort my teeth out.

This is my story. My question is what should I do now? Please feel free to write any advice you'd give me in my situation

Depends how much it affects you and do you have the money for extensive surgery. Thai oral surgeons are very good most have all the latest technology for very good reconstruction. Without a retainer though your teeth will be on the move.

Vote:

Ask a Question