Teeth click especially in the morning

jlr

Solutions
I'm 54 and have a good dental history, braces growing up, some cavities over the years. I see my dentist every 6 months, last time in 12/19 due to the pandemic. My dentist always says I have really strong teeth, with mild gum recession. My lower incisors are becoming crooked.

Anyway, I recently bought an electric toothbrush, and a week or so after using it my teeth became very sensitive, and my left molars, top and bottom gave me a little pain when biting hard. But the most disconcerting experience has been that I've noticing my teeth (top and bottom incisors) shift or click very slightly occasionally when I press forward with my tongue, especially after puckering or sucking in. It's worse in the morning. I bought a mouth guard a few days ago and have been wearing it when I sleep and when I exercise, in case I'm grinding my teeth or clenching. After a few days of wearing the guard, the sensitivity has gone down, but the clicking is still there, though less in the daytime.

I've noticed my teeth click once in a while over the years, but I've never really focused on it, and it seems worse now. So, I'm a bit worried about it, have read that teeth shift, etc. and my wife says her teeth occasionally do this. But still, I cannot shake the worry about it as of now.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Teeth that click are not normal. Usually teeth have a small amount of physiological movement that can take place, but if you can move it with your tongue, this might be indicative of another underlying condition or bone loss. Over time, if your teeth become more crowded, this could lead to a shift in your occlusion, which could result in grinding. Usually these teeth are more symptomatic in the morning and can be associated with headaches as well.
I would also be careful with an electric toothbrush. Hard bristles on the head, in combination with toothpaste, can be abrasive. If you are already someone that brushes too hard, you can damage your enamel and expose areas of dentin, which are more prone to sensitivity. Rather stick to a softer toothbrush/head for the electric toothbrush.

My main concern would be the grinding. Mouth guards you buy at a pharmacy or drug store aren't always custom made for your specific dentition and thus sometimes don't solve the problem. I would consider getting a custom occlusal guard made by a dentist. If the teeth continue to "click ", have the dentist check for any cracks or loose fillings in the affected areas, as well as evaluate the bone around those teeth.

Vote:

Ask a Question