Teeth being filed- filling was too high. Now sensitive?

I went to the dentist back in April, had a filling worked on. About a week ago, I started noticing temperature sensitivity so I went to the dentist just on Friday. He found that the filling was too high so he filed it down. Said it was hitting the other tooth causing inflammation.

Now, two days later and that tooth is very very sensitive. I can’t even drink room temperature water and swish it around without feeling it.

Is this normal after a filing of a tooth? Could he have filed it too much? I’m debating on if I should wait it out or call in the morning. Tooth otherwise does not hurt.

I bought sensodyne on Friday before I went to the dentist. I also have extreme dental anxiety , but not to the point I avoid it, although I do hate going to the dentist. I obsess if anything is wrong and worry until it is fixed.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Every time we drill into a tooth, some damage is done (that's why you need anaesthetic). And the deeper the decay, then the more likely the "nerve" may not recover.
If it was a composite (white) filling, then the filling is bonded onto the tooth structure. There are a number of reasons why this bonding may not be perfect, and that can often lead to prolonged post-op sensitivity. It is hardly ever due to a high filling - that would cause tenderness, not sensitivity.
It's hard to say what to do without knowing what was done. However, you can certainly try the Sensodyne for a few days - it won't do any harm. My next suggestion would be to redo the filling. Also, you could consider changing the filling to an amalgam - they have much lesser risk of post-op sensitivity.

Vote:

Ask a Question