Technical Question

CMO

I am just a layperson, but have been reading the dental literature published over the past 100 years - which is certainly voluminous. It has raised a question in my mind. Is there a risk-benefit analysis that needs to take place with respect to dental cleaning? Specifically, my question is related to subgingival calculus and the removal thereof. This has a hardness that is comparable to cementum. When it is removed, some cementum is also invariably removed. If the thin cementum layer is completely removed, this exposes the dentinal tubules, allowing bacteria to enter the tubules more readily. The literature seems to be unclear as to whether this can lead to pulpitis - but this is my concern. Stated succinctly, can the removal of subgingival calculus actually increase the probability of pulpitis and the need for a root canal or tooth loss?

I am hoping that the answer is no, but I cannot seem to see this addressed directly.

Ask a Question