Swollen gums and lymph nodes overnight from no problem day before

I have had some problems in the past with my gums such as repetitive bleeding and soreness but after doing root planing and scaling four years ago and a strict dental hygiene routine I have had no issues at all and no bleeding whatsoever. Until now. Three months ago my gums overnight inflamed and started to bleed across three teeth and my lymph gland under my jaw also swelled on the same side. The inflammation and bleeding spread to all my gums over two days before I managed to see a dentist. From one day no problems or bleeding to so sensitive I could not touch them and bleeding a lot. My Dentist said that I had very mild gingivitis but no idea why the gums and lymph glands would have puffed up so much. I took antibiotics and it cleared up for two months. Then the same thing happened again completely fine gums and brushing when I went to sleep to bleeding swollen gums along with the lymph gland in the same place as before. This time I got a deep cleaning done and used chlorohexadine and it went away for another month. Then yesterday gums around a different three teeth on the opposite side puffed up and my lymph gland swelled up as well. Inbetween these occurrences I have no bleeding sensitivity or any other problems at all. I know I have receeding gums in a couple of places and 1-3mm periodontal depth. I really want to have some idea what is causing these issues and how it can go from nothing to so severe in the space of an evening. I have never had swollen lymph nodes before with any of the previous gum problems in the plast which were much worse than now. If anybody has any suggestions of what may be causing it as I am now starting to think this is a symptom of something else. Thanks for any help

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Please provide x-ray images of your bone levels. I'm suspecting you have attachment loss and you may be getting debris stuck underneath the undercut areas (such as root bifurcation, etc.) initiating the acute inflammation.

Vote:
What sort of diet do you have? Do you drink or smoke? Are you taking any medications?
I don't smoke and never have done. Drink yes sometimes wine or beer but probably no more than a couple of glasses a week. I did have wine the last time it happened and beer the first time but I don't remember for the second time. My diet is good probably not amazing but its good. I eat lots of vegetables and some fruit. Red meat a couple of times a week, chicken and a few days vegetarian. I am trying to cut down on bread as I know its bad for people with problem gums.

Vote:
Please provide x-ray images of your bone levels. I'm suspecting you have attachment loss and you may be getting debris stuck underneath the undercut areas (such as root bifurcation, etc.) initiating the acute inflammation.
I only have a CT scan of my teeth no X-rays unfortunately. I am going to the dentist again today to talk about this maybe I will get some x-ray pictures done then

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
With further information on your diet, I'm really suspecting you get a lot a food debris trapped under your gums (no x-rays to confirm attachment loss). Have your hygiene team discuss waterpik and other hygiene devices to manage such areas. When you have attachment loss, you tend to accumulate more debris due to increased undercut areas (I have this problem myself).

Vote:
Do you get this with the swollen glands under the jaw as well? The main concerning thing for me is this as well as the speed with which the gums seem to react
With further information on your diet, I'm really suspecting you get a lot a food debris trapped under your gums (no x-rays to confirm attachment loss). Have your hygiene team discuss waterpik and other hygiene devices to manage such areas. When you have attachment loss, you tend to accumulate more debris due to increased undercut areas (I have this problem myself).

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It's hard to answer some questions even with a thorough exam, x-rays, health history, etc...much harder without. I can't explain the speed and the cause at this point. Maybe if you had some medical conditions such as diabetes or some debilitating condition, attachment loss, and deep gum probing depths, then maybe help confirm my suspicions. I've been a dentist for over 21 years and I can see the patterns and tendencies but cannot predict or answer all questions.

Vote:

A_s

Solutions
Do you have any past/current medical conditions or medical conditions that you are unaware of? Do you take any medications? Do you have any drug allergies or other allergic reactions before? Do you take any supplements? Do you have a regular general health check-up with the doctor? When was the last general checkup? What was the recent blood exam like? Did you have any recent infections? Would recommend to see a doctor.

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question